Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

plap
Journeyman III

GPU lockup if running OpenCL and playing video at the same time

- at least, high risk

I have experienced that if I run a fair number of iterations of my kernel while DVBViewer (a media player using EVR custom renderer, not using DXVA) is playing, that the risk for GPU lockup is very high.

It is only the GPU that locks up as I am still able to log in using SSH (cygwin sshd on Vista64/ATI5870).

Is this lockup to be expected? I never experience a lockup with that kernel if I do not run a video.

Normally the lockup occurs after 10-12 iterations, but without video I have run 400 iterations with no ill effect. I guess an iteration takes about 30 milliseconds.

0 Likes
57 Replies

Originally posted by: MicahVillmow It looks like the 11.8 driver will have this fixed.

finally!

it took 3 months and will require circa 2 more, but finally it will be solved! Thanks a lot!

0 Likes

Forgive me for sounding impatiant, but is there a chance that this fix could be incorporated in an earlier hotfix release? We've been already waiting for 3 months...

0 Likes

yes a hotfix would be grate I just went out and bort a 6990 like 2days ago just to use it for games and opencl tasks now it terns out i will not get to use it for 3 months   thank god I can retern the card with in 7days so if theres not a hotfix out by then I will just retern it and maybe buy the 6990 in 3 months and save like 200 bucks by then  I paid for the best so I could use the best now

0 Likes

I have nearly the identical problem (with 6950) while running opencl under linux, only it crashes randomly (10 minutes to several hours) as long as anything else graphical is happening. The system is stable if I shut down anything at all that changes anything on the screen. .. catalyst control version 11.6, APP v. 2.4 and have tried earlier versions with no better results.  Thinking seriously about returning the card.

0 Likes

wow, partial solution to my problem on Linux... after switching off the desktop effects, system runs stable so long as I don't make special demands on the graphics card at the same time as running opencl .. for users of firefox 4.0, switching off the hardware acceleration may also be necessary.

0 Likes

Update on the situation: with Catalyst 11.7, I can watch videos and run OpenCL apps at the same time. So the fix came a little earlier than expected. Good job!

0 Likes

Hi,

That's awesome!!!

Thanks for letting us know! I was about to test 11.8 preview and just skip 11.7, due to earlier info on this being fixed in 11.8.

0 Likes

Well, it was too early to celebrate. OpenCL applications do not lock up anymore, but instead they use 100% of one cpu core. I may just go back to 11.6 and avoid watching videos, since one cpu going non-stop maxing out is a serious power drain.

0 Likes

Sigh.. Well - you could test 11.8 preview..

0 Likes

The 100% cpu usage is present in both 11.7 and 11.8. 11.6 is not affected. The bug is in the videocard device driver, not the APP SDK (11.7 driver with 11.6 SDK = maxed cpu).

0 Likes

Thanks for letting us know.

This is obviously not tested through (yet?).

Hopefully the finished version of 11.8 has this corrected so that we don't have to wait half a year for this to be corrected. It is after all only a half-way fix to a problem at best.

Hopefylly AMD (Micah Villmow?) reads your findings and ensure tha the final QA of 11.8 really fix the underlying issue.

0 Likes

11.7 fixes video lockups now which is great, now we just need to fix the 100% cpu but with >1 gpu

i have started a thread at amd dev forum - opencl section about the 100% cpu usage bug with >1 gpu installed. feel free to jump over there and post your support for this issue being addressed...

http://forums.amd.com/devforum/messageview.cfm?catid=390&threadid=153211&enterthread=y

0 Likes

also, 5830 on linux... same problem... I have several ati graphics cards including a 5770. The 5770 seems to be the only one that doesn't have this crash problem with openCL ... switching the acceleration off for linux helps a lot, but the system still locks up on occasion... rarely, it flashes a bunch of vertical stripes upon the screen when it locks up.  .. also, can not play minecraft on linux with an ati card.. even if openCL is not running haven't really had success with any video game on linux, even using the most recent drivers.  I applaud ATI for building the openCL interface and making it work. I'll be looking at running neural nets with openCL as well as other cool stuff. At the same time... you guys really need to get your stuff together... Hope it works out in reasonable time.

0 Likes

tried version 11.9 on linux...

config.

ubuntu 10.10, app 2.4, 6950, driver 11.9 

crashes almost instantly when running firefox and opencl simultaneously

haven't tried later app versions because the newer versions configure differently, requiring probably an hour or two to resolve...

reverted back to driver 11.6, which behaved much better .. i.e. it takes more graphics intensive stuff and more time to crash

would appreciate owning a system that works properly

0 Likes

Micah, thanks a lot.

0 Likes

Originally posted by: MicahVillmow It looks like the 11.8 driver will have this fixed.

As much as I hate "mee too!" posts, I have to second rorirub and NightAss in asking for an out-of-band release specifically for users impacted by this issue - this isn't "this game runs a bit slow" or "I have to turn off maximum detail or something glitches" this is "My computer stops working when I do something any reasonable person would expect to be able to do, and that I did with no problems on my 4870 which was just replaced with a 6970".

While I understand and appreciate testing and release cycles, a clearly labelled "NOT SUPPORTED" out-of-band release for this issue would be much appreciated.

0 Likes

Originally posted by: skyhawk

As much as I hate "mee too!" posts, I have to second rorirub and NightAss in asking for an out-of-band release specifically for users impacted by this issue - this isn't "this game runs a bit slow" or "I have to turn off maximum detail or something glitches" this is "My computer stops working when I do something any reasonable person would expect to be able to do, and that I did with no problems on my 4870 which was just replaced with a 6970".

While I understand and appreciate testing and release cycles, a clearly labelled "NOT SUPPORTED" out-of-band release for this issue would be much appreciated.

Well, I second skyhawk also... Hate the way NightA.. replied, cause I really like the upgrade from 4870, but this is a SERIOUS showstopper bug, not just a graphical glitch etc.

Basically we cannot use the features for which these cards were built for...

And there is also no workaround for this problem...

If there would be a way to release even not a hotfix for the masses, but an updated driver for the devs only - I assume all of us would be very thankful and happy.

0 Likes

Originally posted by: skyhawk

Completely agreed. We really need a hotfix.

0 Likes