cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

cccccc
Adept I

GL_ARB_debug_output on AMD cards?

Is this extensions supported at all on AMD hardware? I can't seem to get it working.

Hello -- I'm wondering whether anybody has had any luck getting the GL_ARB_debug_output extension working with AMD hardware/drivers.  The extension never shows up in my GL extensions string.  I understand that it's generally only supported when using a debug OpenGL context, and after spending hours digging and hacking through framework code, I've got that working (wglCreateContextAttribs() with the debug bit set, etc.).  Even then, no GL_ARB_debug_output support, and wglGetProcAddress() on its functions always returns NULL.  I've tried several different cards (3xxx-5xxx) and driver versions (10.x-11.6) with the same results everywhere.  Has anybody else had any luck with this?

On the plus side, there's the GL_AMD_debug_output extension, which offers nearly-identical functionality with virtually no setup headache.  On the other, it's obviously a single-platform solution, and I'd like to use the more portable extension if possible. Speaking of which, here's minor question #2: does anybody know anything about the GL_AMDX_debug_output extension?  I can't seem to find it documented anywhere.

Thanks for any help!

0 Likes
2 Replies
nou
Exemplar

GL_AMDX is for experimantal OpenGL extension which can change or dissappear. and GL_ARB_debug_output is originaly AMD's extension which was adopted by Khronos into core.

in catalyst 11.5 hotfix there is ARB version. http://www.geeks3d.com/20110510/amd-catalyst-11-5-whql-and-hotfix-2-new-opengl-extensions/ so IMHO in 11.7-8 normal release.

0 Likes

Oh, so it was in the 11.5 hotfix but not the 11.6 final?  Interesting; I'll check when I get home.  Thanks for the tip!

0 Likes