gDEBugger

0 Likes
18 Replies
nou
Exemplar

for linux?

0 Likes

http://www.gremedy.com/download.php

Try that to see if it fits your needs. Linux support is coming later this year.
0 Likes

Originally posted by: MicahVillmow http://www.gremedy.com/download.php Try that to see if it fits your needs. Linux support is coming later this year.

Hi Micah,

I would like to know the difference between this new gDEBugger and the GDB on linux x86_64.

I found that if I have multiple 6990 GPUs on Ubuntu 10.10, it causes segmentation fault with GDB but non-debug runs are all fine...

Should I go for this new debug tool instead? Thanks!

0 Likes

will it be usable as standalone applicatiom? as original gDEBugger?

0 Likes

My concern about this is, will it be compatible with NV cards? I just recently discovered gDEBugger, and wanted to learn using it over the summer, but because I program both NV and AMD, I would very much like to learn a cross-vendor debugger. Gremedy's application would've been optimal, but I fear that recent AMD acquisition will leave us without a cross-vendor/corss-platform debuggeing tool.

0 Likes

so is Linux support still coming?

0 Likes

GDB is a CPU debugger, gDebugger is a GPU OpenCL/OpenGL debugger.
0 Likes

Hey Micah,

Any word on when this will be released to the public? This month/quarter/year?

Thanks.

-Matt

0 Likes

notyou,
Sorry, but we don't give out information on product releases.
0 Likes

Also,

Will we be able to use it in Visual Studio 2008 ?

(Screen shoots look like VS2010)

Thanks

NB: It is THE TOOLS we are waiting... very exited to see it and use it !

0 Likes

viewon01,
It is visual studio 2010 only currently.
0 Likes

Originally posted by: MicahVillmow It is visual studio 2010 only currently.

This is  discrimination  against many other programming languages !!!

0 Likes

1: Visual Studio is not a programming language.

2: It is no surprise VS 2010 support is made first (as being commercial standard).

3: We should be happy, that when first working version is done, it is released into public, and at least VS users do not have to wait until linux support is added.

4: If linux support will not be added, that is still not discrimination, just a big mistake. But let's not jump to conclusions, shall we?

0 Likes

Originally posted by: Meteorhead 1: Visual Studio is not a programming language.

Okay, I'm paraphrasing

This is discrimination against many other  Integrated Development Environment, like my favorite Embarcadero RAD Studio \m/

0 Likes

Developing resources are not infinite, so naturally a decision has to be made. I myself would like if gDEBugger would be a cross-platform IDE plug-in, such as Eclipse or Code::Blocks, so I would only have to learn one IDE and I could code on both linux and windows...

However I have to accept that VS has a market share of about 75% alone, and everyone else shares the remaining 25%. The choice is not discrimination, it's just a decision of common sense.

I just discovered gDEBugger a while ago and I was damned happy about the fact, that finally there's a free, cross-platform and cross-vendor and capable debugger for OpenCL and OpenGL, and I planned to spend the summer mastering it. AMD's acquisition surely makes it lose it's cross-vendor feat, but again, once the developers are funded by AMD (which definately increases it's productivity on AMD HW), we cannot expect for a proper and bug-free support for debugging NV HW with it. So yes, I was a little sad that yet again, I will have to learn to use Paralell nSight also, if I want to debug my code on NV cards.

VS was chosen as a first implementation, because it holds greatest market share, and it has the most stable and usable plug-in interface. Just like you, I have differing wishes (namely I prefer developing on linux), but we'll just have to go with it for the time being.

ps: I have a strong feeling that no other IDEs will be supported ever, even if linux support is added, it will be a standalone software and a debug symbol library. Although at least one linux-capable IDE plug-in would be welcome, I don't know which one is used most.

0 Likes

Will you provide a CPU version of gDebugger ? Because we mainly use OpenCL for the CPU here !

Thanks

0 Likes

viewon01,
I've forwarded your request to the proper people to let them know of the interest for gDebugger to work on the CPU.
0 Likes

wonder if gDEBugger will lose cross vendor combatibility. will it cease exist as standalone application?

0 Likes