cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

arsenm
Adept III

Mixing both AMD and Nvidia GPU in the same system

Has anyone had any recent success running OpenCL/CAL/CUDA programs on a single system with GPUs from both vendors installed at the same time? I've been fighting it for a while in both Linux and Windows.

In Linux, so far the best I've been able to do is getting both working after fiddling with libraries for a while, and some things just seem a little broken. On top of that, I have one display plugged into each display but only get display from one at a time. I can either have one display on the Nvidia card, and the other off or vice versa. If I try to have both displays on one of the GPUs, I lose the GPGPU stuff on the other. In Windows I've had various other issues, but it seems to have started randomly working correctly at one point. Is there a painless way to get this to work? I can't seem to find any documentation on how to set this up. It's really inconvenient to need to swap between them and it would be great if this were better supported.

0 Likes
5 Replies
laobrasuca
Journeyman III

you should be able to use both platforms on Win7: two platforms, one context to each and one command queue per device. However, with GL/CL interop I'm not able to use the the secondary GPU, since the CL context creation from the GL HDC and HRC fails. Have a look here http://forums.amd.com/devforum/messageview.cfm?catid=390&threadid=146315&STARTPAGE=1&FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Linear or search for multi gpu topics, you might find useful hints.

0 Likes
arsenm
Adept III

Actually it decided to stop working in Windows now too.

0 Likes

I do not exactly understand you, you are in one monitor and you connect it, or to one or another video card? Then try using the VGA plug (emulator monitor) - it may help ...

0 Likes

I have not tested this way but it should be possible to do it as laobrsuca suggested. What devices are you trying to run? andwhat SDK you use install for NVIDA and AMD.

0 Likes
Claggy
Adept II

There are two things you need to do, the first is to run Cat 11.2 or newer drivers (i always install ATI drivers 2nd, so OpenCL.dll isn't overwritten by the Nvidia variant which is only OpenCL1.0)

and then you need to extend the Desktop onto the 2nd GPU,

I'm running two Mixed hosts using Boinc, they are: Windows 7 E8500/GTX460/HD5770 and a XP Pro XP3200/AGP HD4650/PCI 8400 GS

The Win 7 machine does Cuda, CAL and OpenCL fine (on both platforms)

and the XP Pro machine does Cuda and CAL fine,

Claggy

0 Likes