Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

calkins_c
Journeyman III

APP SDK 2.4 OpenCL version problem

version 1.4.879 required, 1.4.815 installed

I've seen a similar problem reported elsewhere for earlier SDK revisions, such as in this thread:

http://devforums.amd.com/devforum/messageview.cfm?catid=390&threadid=145590

though I didn't see a resolution.  Under 64-bit Windows 7, I've installed Catalyst 11.5 and the APP SDK 2.4, and my graphics device is an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470.  When I run any of the OpenCL samples, the error:

This OpenCL build requires version 1.4.879, version 1.4.815 installed.

is displayed and the GPU is not usable.  Any idea of what to try to resolve the problem?  I've uninstalled and reinstalled both the SDK and Catalyst to no avail.  Thanks in advance!

BTW, I hesitate to perform a driver clean due to this post:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproinstall/thread/8d522f34-4b28-44b4-bdc9-9c0eb3d908f2/

The output from clinfo is as follows:

*** CAL version mismatch:
This OpenCL build requires version 1.4.879, version 1.4.815 installed.

Aborting.

Number of platforms:                 1
  Platform Profile:                 FULL_PROFILE
  Platform Version:                 OpenCL 1.1 AMD-APP-SDK-v2.4 (595.10)
  Platform Name:                 AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing
  Platform Vendor:                 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
  Platform Extensions:                 cl_khr_icd cl_amd_event_callback cl_amd_offline_devices cl_khr_d3d10_sharing

Platform Name:                 AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing
Number of devices:                 1
  Device Type:                     CL_DEVICE_TYPE_CPU
  Device ID:                     4098
  Max compute units:                 3
  Max work items dimensions:             3
    Max work items[0]:                 1024
    Max work items[1]:                 1024
    Max work items[2]:                 1024
  Max work group size:                 1024
  Preferred vector width char:             16
  Preferred vector width short:             8
  Preferred vector width int:             4
  Preferred vector width long:             2
  Preferred vector width float:             4
  Preferred vector width double:         0
  Native vector width char:             16
  Native vector width short:             8
  Native vector width int:             4
  Native vector width long:             2
  Native vector width float:             4
  Native vector width double:             0
  Max clock frequency:                 2194Mhz
  Address bits:                     64
  Max memory allocation:             2147483648
  Image support:                 Yes
  Max number of images read arguments:         128
  Max number of images write arguments:         8
  Max image 2D width:                 8192
  Max image 2D height:                 8192
  Max image 3D width:                 2048
  Max image 3D height:                 2048
  Max image 3D depth:                 2048
  Max samplers within kernel:             16
  Max size of kernel argument:             4096
  Alignment (bits) of base address:         1024
  Minimum alignment (bytes) for any datatype:     128
  Single precision floating point capability
    Denorms:                     Yes
    Quiet NaNs:                     Yes
    Round to nearest even:             Yes
    Round to zero:                 Yes
    Round to +ve and infinity:             Yes
    IEEE754-2008 fused multiply-add:         No
  Cache type:                     Read/Write
  Cache line size:                 64
  Cache size:                     65536
  Global memory size:                 4021186560
  Constant buffer size:                 65536
  Max number of constant args:             8
  Local memory type:                 Global
  Local memory size:                 32768
  Kernel Preferred work group size multiple:     1
  Error correction support:             0
  Unified memory for Host and Device:         1
  Profiling timer resolution:             466
  Device endianess:                 Little
  Available:                     Yes
  Compiler available:                 Yes
  Execution capabilities:                 
    Execute OpenCL kernels:             Yes
    Execute native function:             Yes
  Queue properties:                 
    Out-of-Order:                 No
    Profiling :                     Yes
  Platform ID:                     000000000158D118
  Name:                         AMD Phenom(tm) II N850 Triple-Core Processor
  Vendor:                     AuthenticAMD
  Driver version:                 2.0
  Profile:                     FULL_PROFILE
  Version:                     OpenCL 1.1 AMD-APP-SDK-v2.4 (595.10)
  Extensions:                     cl_khr_fp64 cl_amd_fp64 cl_khr_global_int32_base_atomics cl_khr_global_int32_extended_atomics cl_khr_local_int32_base_atomics cl_khr_local_int32_extended_atomics cl_khr_int64_base_atomics cl_khr_int64_extended_atomics cl_khr_byte_addressable_store cl_khr_gl_sharing cl_ext_device_fission cl_amd_device_attribute_query cl_amd_vec3 cl_amd_media_ops cl_amd_popcnt cl_amd_printf cl_khr_d3d10_sharing

0 Likes
7 Replies
calkins_c
Journeyman III

More info...  Even after installing Catalyst 11.5, the driver version as reported by DeviceManager remained at 8.712.1.2000 from 4/15/2010.  Updating the driver via the Device Manager found an update and installed it with version 8.770.2.1000 from 9/19/2010.  Considering that the Catalyst 11.5 release date is 5/9/2011, this still seems like a very old driver to select. 

What driver version should Catalyst 11.5 be installing for the ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470?  Are the driver files themselves extracted somewhere such that I can tell the Device Manager update process to use them directly?

[ With the new driver version, I am still exhibiting the same version problem as I previously reported, and even the Geeks3D GPU Caps Viewer v1.11.1 also confirms that there is no GPU OpenCL device available. ]

Thanks,

Charles

0 Likes

AFAIK this should be related to that the previous driver was not installed properly and you tried to upgrade that with the new 11.5 driver.

I understand your concerns mention in the thread but sadly this is the only course which can help you.

I would also like to suggest to try older SDK say 2.3. I would like to tell this is unofficial suggestion as I think the previous SDK would require less recent driver and you might get your opencl running.

Thanks

0 Likes

Thanks for the reply.

I hadn't presumed the original driver was installed incorrectly - it is the same one that was installed on my laptop when I purchased it, and this is the first time that I had tried to modify it.

What files/registry settings/etc. does the cleaner explicitly look for?   It would be better if I could remove files by hand to verify what actions are taken.

Actually, what specific driver file is consulted to obrtain the 1.4.815 version number?  I've viewed file properties of various driver files, but none appear to correspond.  If I could tell exactly what was out of date, that would help.

When I tried to install v2.3 of the SDK, but a dialog box appeared indicating that no supported GPU devices were found, but I could continue installation with a CPU device only.  The latest, 2.4 SDK, doesn't display that message.

Thanks,

Charles

0 Likes

By the way, what is the best driver cleaner to use?  It seems that the one from Guru3D is no longer available, at least according to this page:

http://downloads.guru3d.com/Guru3D---Driver-Sweeper-%28Setup%29_d1655.html

Thanks,

Charles

0 Likes

well, if you dig a little deeper you will find this:

http://phyxion.net/item/driver-sweeper.html

and for mobility drivers, this could maybe help you:

http://forums.amd.com/devforum/messageview.cfm?catid=390&threadid=150258&enterthread=y

0 Likes

Thank you laobrasuca!  Ultimately, it worked. 

Longer story for posterity:

I had presumed that the one and only link on the driver list for my graphics card on the AMD web site actually contained the drivers - not so.   As per your second link, the link on the drivers page was for a file that did not have "dd" as part of its name, so it actually did not contain the graphics driver itself.  The post that you referred to provided a direct link to the correct driver file - specifically, this one:

http://www2.ati.com/drivers/mobile/11-5_mobility_vista_win7_64_dd_ccc.exe

I was not able to successfully update my driver via the Device Manager to the one contained in that file, however.  It tried to install the driver, but the installation timed out.  After the install failed, properties of the device did show the correct version number, though, even though the driver itself wasn't operational.

So, as per your first link, it was necessary to run the driver sweeper after all - Google never led me to that version, but only to the one that was no longer downloadable, so I appreciate the reference.  Windows 7 behaved oddly after reboot (hung for 45 min between clicking on my icon to log in and before it prompted for my password, prompting a hard shutdown with the power switch), but eventually I was able to log in, and the graphics device showed itself as disabled.  I then installed the driver by running the installer.  It indicated there were warnings during the install, but the log page didn't actually show any.  I was then prompted to reboot.

After rebooting, Device Manager showed my graphics card as operational, and running clinfo now showed two devices (one GPU, one CPU) for the first time ever, and GPU Caps Viewer also showed an operational GPU device for the first time. I reinstalled v2.4 of the SDK and am now able to run the samples.

Thanks again!

0 Likes

my pleasure! That's what the forums are mode for

Enjoy!

0 Likes