cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

kean_lau
Journeyman III

GPGPU capabilities of the 5W C-50 APU

Back in January AMD did a demo in Singapore of a 5W version of the C-50 APU, which was planned to be used by Acer in their upcoming Windows 7 tablet. Looking at the photos from that demo the Acer tablet looks like the Iconia Tab W500.

To lower the TDP down from 9W to 5W apparently features had to be cut from the APU. Do any of these features involve GPGPU?

Is Acer Iconia Tab W500 using the 5W C-50 APU and if it is, is it still OpenCL 1.1 compatible? Can anyone from AMD confirm this?

0 Likes
4 Replies
Wibowit
Journeyman III

AFAIK they cut some other features that were unused in tablets and CPU/ GPU clocks stayed the same.

0 Likes

I am not aware of any feature deprecations which may make APU not fit for GPGPU. Generally they have the same architecture as other AMD GPUs, but they have less number of compute Units( 2-5 I guess). So They are OpenCL 1.1 compliant.

Are there any features in particular you are interested in?

0 Likes

No there aren't any particular features that I'm after. I just want to buy a portable machine that I can start OpenCL programming on!

0 Likes

Then c-50 APU should work for you. Although you can also try to get one of LLano devices( Desktop category APUs).

0 Likes