cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

moozoo
Adept III

Radeon HD 6990 Dual GPU mode

The 5970 is only supported in single-GPU mode.

Will this be fixed on the HD 6990 so that both GPU's on the card are usable and supported in OpenCL.

0 Likes
12 Replies
Starglider
Adept I

People have been asking about this since the 5970 dual-GPU support was removed/broken nearly a year ago.

Is there any ETA for this yet?

0 Likes

on anadatech they use a luxrender to test GPU. and they measure same performace than 6970. but it can be just wrong configuration.

0 Likes
aheirich
Staff

In SDK 2.4 (coming very soon) this will be fixed on both the 5xxx and 6xxx series cards.

0 Likes

Very good news

The dual cards are compelling because they double the compute power per PCIe slot(power supply issues aside).

The number of usable x16 PCIe slots are a limiting factor in most cases(2 in most 2U blades.)

0 Likes

Hi,

Now SDK 2.4 is available, but in "system requirements" HD 5970 still says "single gpu mode". Is a mistake in the page or multigpu support will be again "in an upcomming release"?

By the way: HD 6990 is not listed in the device list. This means that is not supported?

regards,

Alfonso.

0 Likes
cjb80
Journeyman III

I recall seeing in the programming guide that devices with multiple GPUs aren't supported (i.e., only one GPU works with OpenCL currently).

0 Likes

I have just tested 3x HD6990s on ubuntu 10.10 + ccc11.3 + SDK2.4 with Luxmark v1.0.

It "almost" works which means I can see that the prog assigns kernels to the 6 GPUs but at the very last stage before it can show the score, the window freezes to grey...

Well, I suppose multiple GPUs does work under Ubuntu after some fine tunning

0 Likes

Unfortunately we are not able to claim multigpu support for this release. We are trying hard to make it available as soon as possible.

Although you might be able to see some progress for your multigpu kernels, official support will only come in another future release.

Thanks

0 Likes

Is a new SDK release going to contain a fix or is it now Catalyst where changes of this type occur?

0 Likes

Jawed,
With SDK 2.4, updated OpenCL runtime and compiler is included in both the SDK package and Catalyst. Newer versions of Catalyst will get slightly updated versions of the SDK, but the SDK version will not. So yes, bug fixes will be in Catalyst updates, but new features will most likely wait until the next SDK release. We are still working on the Catalyst release process, so it will be in flux for awhile.
0 Likes

hm only windows catalyst contain OpenCL. so will you update SDK for Linux or include OpenCL into Linux catalyst also?

just answer if there will be update for Linux is enough.

0 Likes

nou,
I'm surprised we are not already in Catalyst on Linux. Like I mentioned we are still working through the specifics, but Windows and Linux Catalyst should eventually include the same things.
0 Likes