cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

afo
Adept I

OpenCL.lib Missing?

If I install catalyst with Opencl runtime, OpenCL.lib vanishes?

Hi all,

A silly question: If I want to test Catalyst 11.3 for a OpenCL application in my development machine (XP32); should I install the display driver without OpenCL runtime?

If I install Catalyst 11.3 with OpenCL runtime (SDK2.4-RC1), where is Opencl.lib? (please don't tell me "in SDK2.4")

regards,

Alfonso

0 Likes
14 Replies
himanshu_gautam
Grandmaster

hi afo,

I guess its the openCL.dll which is actually required at run time. And it is present at its normal location inside system32 and syswow64.

0 Likes

Hi,

That's true for execution: app.exe needs OpenCL.dll to work in windows. But this is my development machine, app.c needs to link against OpenCL.lib; which seems to be deleted by the catalyst driver installation.

regards,

Alfonso

0 Likes

I second the odd deleting of OpenCL.lib.

I update to 11.3 today and it whacked my opencl.lib, which I then reinstalled the SDK but now the Profiler no longer functions..  Very frustrating.

0 Likes

hi afo,

Can you please post the clinfo output of your machine. I would like to know the CAL version so I may try to reproduce it here.

0 Likes

Please specify the steps you took while installation of the new driver and uninstalling the previous driver. I am not able to reproduce the issue on my side.

0 Likes

Hi,

Those are the steps that I did:

1) Uninstall old driver (Cat.10.12): Control Panel->add/remove programs->Ati Catalyst install manager "change"

In Ati Catalyst install manager: remove all Ati software (I am not sure about the exact words because I see the spanish version: "Realice la desinstalacion rapida de TODO el software de ATI")

2) Reboot

3) Install new driver (11-3_xp32_dd_ccc_ocl.exe)

4) Reboot

5) Start VS2008, build the application: "File not found error"

6) OpenCL.lib vanished

regards,

Alfonso

0 Likes

Hi afo,

If you are doing Uninstall all ATI software, i think its reasonable to expect that it should delete openCL.lib. Use the install manager option rather which allows you to choose what components you want to delete. Keep in mind not to delete the runtime if you later intend to use openCL for CPU device.

Thanks

0 Likes

Hi,

If OpenCL.lib is installed by AtiStream SDK, I expect that AtiStream SDK uninstalls it; not Ati Catalyst Install Manager...

By the way, if uninstalling all ATI software in Ati Catalyst Install Manager removes OpenCL.lib, why not removes AtiStream SDK/Profiler too and removes only OpenCL.lib?

I have other theory: OpenCL runtime provided with catalyst 11.3 (which CLInfo shows AtiStream 2.4 RC1) is not compatible with opencl.lib from AtiStream SDK 2.3; but AtiStream SDK 2.4 was not release yet, so if you link your application against opencl.lib v2.3 and run it with opencl.dll v2.4RC1, it won't work (best scenary, the worst scenary could be that doing so the hardware will be damaged). so the simplest solution is to remove the opencl.lib and hope that developers don't get too angry before the availability of AtiStreamSDK 2.4

best regards,

Alfonso

0 Likes

Afo,

Do you face problems with openCL after reinstalling the opencl.lib from SDK 2.3? This should confirm whether there is some compatibility issue or not.

And the option "Express install All ATI software" means the developer is not not interested in doing any more opencl work using ATI implementation. So the SDK components and Driver components are deleted. You can use express uninstall from the uninstall manager option to delete driver specific components.

0 Likes

Hi,

"Do you face problems with openCL after reinstalling the opencl.lib from SDK 2.3? This should confirm whether there is some compatibility issue or not."

Yes, Catalyst11.3+OpenCL_RT_2.4RC1 doesn't work with my application compiled with AtiStream SDK 2.3. The application gives bad results and no errors in function calls to the API.

The application gives correct results with Catalyst 10.12 + OpenCL_RT from AtiStream SDK 2.3, so I guess that there is an incompatibility between the OpenCL.lib v2.3 and OpenCL.dll v2.4RC1.

So I rolled back to Cat10.12; reinstalled AtiStream SDK 2.3 and my application started to work with correct results.

"And the option "Express install All ATI software" means the developer is not not interested in doing any more opencl work using ATI implementation. So the SDK components and Driver components are deleted. You can use express uninstall from the uninstall manager option to delete driver specific components."

As I said; Catalyst Install Manager manages the install/uninstall of different pieces of software: the video driver, the opencl 2.4RC1 runtime, the VStudio runtime redistributables, the catalyst install manger in itself, etc. So I expect that "express uninstall all ATI software" uninstalls all the pieces of software that catalyst install manager installed, and no other pieces of software that have installed by other, like AtiStream SDK.

That is my interpretation of what Catalyst install manger should do, but I could be wrong and it should uninstall all Ati Software, but it didn't; it didn't uninstall the AtiStreamSDK, samples or Kernel Profiler. Only erased the "AtiStream\lib\x86" directory, so in one or other sense, the catalyst install manager uninstaller didn't work as it should.

best regards,

Alfonso

0 Likes

afo,

Thanks for your feedback regarding the "express uninstall all ATI software".

But can you tell me the CAL version as returned by clInfo, so I may check the incompatibility issue.

0 Likes

Hi,

Thanks for the followup. Unfortunatelly I can't tell you the CAL version because when I discovered that catalyst 11.3+OpenCL Runtime wasn't compatible with my application, I rolled back to catalyst 10.12.

best regards,

Alfonso

0 Likes

SDK 2.4 is out. Can you check that out.

Some details regarding the uninstallation are mentioned in the document that might interest you.

0 Likes

Hi,

Thanks for the follow-up; Now I can see that catalyst install manager will be in charge of install/uninstall.

regards,

Alfonso

0 Likes