Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

douglas125
Adept I

Double-precision and image support

Which GPUs support these features?

Hello;

I have seen in the specs that Radeon 6970 and 6950 support double-precision and images and I'm given to understand that CPUs will do so too in the near future.

1. My query refers to the Mobile versions and, of course, the Fusion ones: which Mobility cards/Fusion APUs support double-precision?

2. I failed to find a comprehensive list of all GPUs/CPUs/APUs and which OpenCL features they support/don't support. Would it be possible to provide a simple table with Device - Supported OpenCL features - Emulated OpenCL features - Never-to-be-supported OpenCL features?;

3. One more thing, will Radeons 47XX ever support image_2d, maybe even in an emulated lower-performance mode? If it doesn't demand too much effort I'd like to see it included in SDK 2.4 (I'm aware that it might not be worth the effort though but come on, just emulate it converting image_2d to float4s and replacing read_imagef and write_imagef properly).

Thanks for the time

0 Likes
2 Replies

1) What version doesn't really matter, it is the chip inside of the device that is important. A mobile/fusion device that has the same graphics chip as a discrete device that supports double precision, will also support double precision. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C...hics_processing_units
2) I believe this exists in our programming guide, the link to wikipedia has a lot of this information.
3) Not going to happen. 7XX series of cards support the core 1.0 spec and nothing else. There are no plans to ever updating that device as it is missing many hardware features required for images and extensions.
0 Likes

Thanks for the quick response.

I'm sad though that it implies that no Mobility supports double precision as they are based on juniper and barts.

0 Likes