cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

brevilo
Adept I

CL_DEVICE_NOT_FOUND: OpenCL on Linux with APP SDK 2.3, Catalyst 11.2 and a HD 6970

I'm trying to get OpenCL (APP SDK 2.3) working on Debian Lenny (x86_64) using the latest driver (11.2) and a Radeon HD 6970 - to no avail. Is this card already supported by that driver? Is there a specific device to be found under /dev when the driver's properly installed and it detected the device? I can't seem to find any relevant information about the actual requirements and all SDK samples just return CL_DEVICE_NOT_FOUND errors (CLinfo just lists the CPU, not the 6970).

Any idea?

Thanks

0 Likes
11 Replies
himanshu_gautam
Grandmaster

brevilo,

I suggest you to try some other distro of linux. Lenny doesn't seem to be supported as per http://developer.amd.com/gpu/AMDAPPSDK/pages/DriverCompatibility.aspx

0 Likes

Hm, understood. It would be nice to know the actual requirements with regard to the kernel version and/or required libraries. The distro itself shouldn't be important. Any idea?

Update: Ubuntu is a Debian derivative. 9.10 (supported) uses kernel 2.6.31 while my system already runs 2.6.32.28 so that shouldn't be a problem...

Thanks

0 Likes

on my Ubuntu system i have /dev/ati and /proc/ati directory.

for me best method to install catalyst is create deb packages with --buildpkg Debian/lenny parameter.

you can also run FindNumDevices from SDK CAL samples.

and maybe this will help http://www.kanotix.com/files/install-fglrx-debian.sh

0 Likes

Originally posted by: nou on my Ubuntu system i have /dev/ati and /proc/ati directory.

The kernel module (driver) is loaded successfully as /proc/ati exits (see syslog excerpt), however, /dev/ati isn't which tells me that the driver doesn't recognize the device for some reason...

Originally posted by: nou

you can also run FindNumDevices from SDK CAL samples.

I just run CLinfo from the samples. While it does list the CPU device it doesn't list the GPU which makes sense considering the missing /dev/ati entry.

Cheers

[fglrx] Maximum main memory to use for locked dma buffers: 7691 MBytes. [fglrx] vendor: 1002 device: 6718 count: 1 [fglrx] ioport: bar 4, base 0xdc00, size: 0x100 [fglrx] Kernel PAT support is enabled [fglrx] module loaded - fglrx 8.82.8 [Jan 26 2011] with 1 minors

0 Likes

run FindNumDevices just to be sure. what about 3D accelearion. is it working? what is OpenGL version and vendor?

0 Likes

Originally posted by: nou run FindNumDevices just to be sure. what about 3D accelearion. is it working? what is OpenGL version and vendor?

There's no 3D acceleration available/activated since we're talking about a Linux server which doesn't even run a X server. This also means that OpenGL isn't used. However, since I installed the ATI driver I presume that it also provides the OpenGL ICD.

This is the output of FindNumDevices, as expected, it doesn't recognize any devices:

Supported CAL Runtime Version: 1.3.185 Found CAL Runtime Version: 1.4.1016 Use -? for help CAL initialized. Finding out number of devices :- Device Count = 0 CAL shutdown successful.

0 Likes

ok AMD APP for GPU need Xserver runnign. http://developer.amd.com/support/KnowledgeBase/Lists/KnowledgeBase/DispForm.aspx?ID=19

0 Likes

Originally posted by: nou ok AMD APP for GPU need Xserver runnign. http://developer.amd.com/support/KnowledgeBase/Lists/KnowledgeBase/DispForm.aspx?ID=19

Yep, just found that one myself! Thanks anyway nou!

IMHO, this is yet another disadvantage compared to NVIDIA 😕 GPUs and OpenCL are getting more and more important in HPC where often no X server is required/installed otherwise. Guys, please get rid of all those hurdles, great hardware needs to be enabled by great software...

0 Likes

I purchased last week an ASUS 990FX Sabertooth and HIS 7970 FAN graphics card.  Ubuntu 12.04.

I installed the proprietary AMD Catalyst drivers and then installed the AMDAPP SDK.  When I make and run the samples with GL, I get this error:  CL_INVALID_GL_OBJECT.

Considering I bought all this hardware in order to do opencl with it, I do hope AMD Developer support can help me with it.  Thank you in advance. 

I do agree with the user Brevilo about providing better Linux OpenCL support in order to narrow that hurdle gap between the catalyst driver and opencl working properly.  I am quite surprised there is no opencl test case suite delivered with the catalyst driver akin to the way AMD has the fgl_glxgears, there should be an equivalent one i.e. fgl_glxOpenCLgears.  This would ensure the OpenCL runs correctly as expected with the driver.

MY PREPARATION BEFORE INSTALL

----------------------------

Because of all the countless driver configurations, I followed the removing catalyst instructions here:

http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu_Precise_Installation_Guide#Removing_Catalyst.2Ffglrx

655  apt-get remove --purge fglrx fglrx_* fglrx-amdcccle* fglrx-dev*

I WANT to use your proprietary drivers to ensure maximum efficiency with the hardware.

MY ACTUAL INSTALL STEPS

-----------------------

I followed manual installation here:

http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu_Precise_Installation_Guide#Installing_Catalyst_Manually_.28f...

657  apt-get install build-essential cdbs dh-make dkms execstack dh-modaliases fakeroot

658  apt-get install ia32-libs-multiarch:i386 lib32gcc1 libc6-i386

659  cd /usr ; sudo ln -svT lib /usr/lib64

660  ls -lh |more

661  cd ~/; mkdir catalyst12.4; cd catalyst12.4/

662  wget http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/amd-driver-installer-12-4-x86.x86_64.run

663  chmod +x amd-driver-installer-12-4-x86.x86_64.run

664  sh ./amd-driver-installer-12-4-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg Ubuntu/precise

665  dpkg -i fglrx*.deb

666  cp /usr/lib64/switchlib* /usr/lib64/fglrx/

Those files where not there.

They are here:

668  find /usr/lib64/ -name "switch*" -print

/usr/lib64/pxpress/lib/switchlibglx

/usr/lib64/fglrx/switchlibGL

/usr/lib64/fglrx/switchlibglx

669  amdconfig --initial -f

670  reboot

676  fglrxinfo

677  fgl_glxgears

Here is where I run into problems with AMD's OPENCL AMDAPP SDK which is the reason I bought this graphics card in the first place.  The samples should all run out-of-the-box:

681  cd /opt/AMDAPP/

683  cd samples/

685  cd opencl/

687  cd bin/

689  cd x86_64/

691  ./BoxFilter

Running SAT version..

Platform 0 : Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

Platform found : Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

Selected Platform Vendor : Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

Device 0 : Tahiti Device ID is 0x15757c0

Executing kernel for 1 iterations

-------------------------------------------

Running Separable version..

I'm going to display all the opencl devices

Device 0 : Tahiti Device ID is 0x15757c0

Executing kernel for 1 iterations

-------------------------------------------

692  ./BoxFilterGL

Running SAT version..

platform:0platformId:0isPlatformEnabled():0

displaying all opencl devices...

Device 0 : Tahiti Device ID is 0x28593b0

enabling the gl/cl context...

Number of displays 1

glXCreateContextAttribsARB 0x7f92868220e0

Number of interoperable devices 1

Interoperable device found

Interop Device ID is 0x28593b0

enable of gl cl context successful...

about to create cl buffer...

Error: clCreateFromGLBuffer failed. (outputImageBuffer) Error code : CL_INVALID_GL_OBJECT

I am looking forward to resolving this ASAP.  Thank you in advance for your quick response.

0 Likes

this is error is caused by that OpenCL open libGL.so from /usr/lib/ which is from MESA. you need libGL.so from fglrx so try

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/fglrx

this should resolve it.

omac
Journeyman III

Nou,

God bless you.  All the OpenCL samples are running on Ubuntu 12.04 with the HIS Radeon 7970 Fan Graphics Card. 

I had assumed the Catalyst Driver and OpenCL make install would have done this "export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/fglrx" on my behalf.

Perhaps the AMD support team could provide catalyst/opencl as a bundled ubuntu/debian .deb package and make this export command as part of its install and setup.

Also, perhaps adding to the error string "CL_DEVICE_NOT_FOUND"...something like "please export LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable" to hint how to fix it for others and save the AMD support team time.

Cheers

Message was edited by: David Marceau

0 Likes