cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

alfacrit
Journeyman III

Blue Screen, ati2dvag Infinite Loop

When coding Webservices dotNet VB or C#, BSOD, crashes sytem, infinite loop of video driver reported.

Using VS 2008 with all sp's and patches applied. Developing dotNet VB and dotNet C# Webservices Application under XP.

When running the applications in the debugger, with the  Internet Explorer front end, the system locks, then blue screens. This was with a high end ATI Radeon 3800 series graphics card.

Searching the web shows that many, many gamers have the same issues when merely playing video games

The video driver (latest releases) went into an infinite loop according to the error report. The ati2dvag.dll was blamed for the Radeon

Disabling hardware acceleration was recommended by Microsoft's error reporting system, also recommended was upgrading directX. I have the latest directX drivers installed, all applicable patches, etc.

Nobody seems to have a solution despite the widespread issue.

It happened on a new XP install as well.

0 Likes
25 Replies
bumpurcs
Journeyman III

I've been having the same issue with a 3850 video card.  It seems specific to IE.  If I just browse using IE, I eventually get the blue screen.  Using Firefox I haven't had the same issue.  Something IE is doing along with the latest ATI drivers is causing a bluescreen.

0 Likes

Updated to 11 Cat and same issue.

0 Likes

I have the same exact problem. I'm using WinXP SP3 using a Radeon HD3850 AGP. So far it only effects IE, no problems in Firefox. I was using CAT Drivers version 10.8 with no problems at all. I upgraded drivers to latest 11.1 and that's when I first got the issue. I then installed CAT version 10.12, then 10.11, but problem is still there. I am going to go back to CAT 10.8 and work my way up till I find the first driver that has the issue. I hope someone finds a solution soon.

0 Likes

Originally posted by: JoeSkeeRock I have the same exact problem. I'm using WinXP SP3 using a Radeon HD3850 AGP. So far it only effects IE, no problems in Firefox. I was using CAT Drivers version 10.8 with no problems at all. I upgraded drivers to latest 11.1 and that's when I first got the issue. I then installed CAT version 10.12, then 10.11, but problem is still there. I am going to go back to CAT 10.8 and work my way up till I find the first driver that has the issue. I hope someone finds a solution soon.

I'm also running into this same problem, only it seems to crop up for me when using Windows explorer.exe (which I know IE is integrated into) - when opening folders, using Windows Search, opening Device Manager, etc.

Seems to happen at random, but we may have hit on something with tying it to Windows Explorer/IE... any idea if this is being worked on for the next driver release?

*Quick reference on my sys specs:
Radeon HD3850 AGP
Windows XP SP3 (32-bit)
ATi/AMD Driver release 11.1

Athlon64 X2 4200+ (939), 3GB DDR400, Gigabyte GA-K8U-939/ULi M1689

0 Likes

I have been rolling back to 10.4, which seems to not have the issue.  I need to try 10.8 if others are having successes.  11 looks a lot nicer in game though, wish we could get this fixed.

0 Likes

Originally posted by: bumpurcs I have been rolling back to 10.4, which seems to not have the issue.  I need to try 10.8 if others are having successes.  11 looks a lot nicer in game though, wish we could get this fixed.

yes,the same feeling.

0 Likes

Originally posted by: SnacksCCM
Originally posted by: JoeSkeeRock I have the same exact problem. I'm using WinXP SP3 using a Radeon HD3850 AGP. So far it only effects IE, no problems in Firefox. I was using CAT Drivers version 10.8 with no problems at all. I upgraded drivers to latest 11.1 and that's when I first got the issue. I then installed CAT version 10.12, then 10.11, but problem is still there. I am going to go back to CAT 10.8 and work my way up till I find the first driver that has the issue. I hope someone finds a solution soon.

I'm also running into this same problem, only it seems to crop up for me when using Windows explorer.exe (which I know IE is integrated into) - when opening folders, using Windows Search, opening Device Manager, etc. Seems to happen at random, but we may have hit on something with tying it to Windows Explorer/IE... any idea if this is being worked on for the next driver release? *Quick reference on my sys specs: Radeon HD3850 AGP Windows XP SP3 (32-bit) ATi/AMD Driver release 11.1 Athlon64 X2 4200+ (939), 3GB DDR400, Gigabyte GA-K8U-939/ULi M1689

Update: Seem to have narrowed it down a bit - for some reason the MS Search utility's "dog" 3D mascot (I'm guessing) is able to reproduce this issue like clockwork - just fire up the "Start > Search" utility and boom, BSOD.

I'm not holding out a ton of hope, but I hope that helps somewhere (or hopefully if some of the developers are watching these boards)...

From my WinXP System Event log:

Event Type:    Error
Event Source:    System Error
Event Category:    (102)
Event ID:    1003
Date:        2/22/2011
Time:        10:17:14 PM
User:        N/A
Computer:    xxxxRemovedxxxx
Description:
Error code 1000007e, parameter1 c0000005, parameter2 bf141c00, parameter3 ab8c29a4, parameter4 ab8c26a0.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 53 79 73 74 65 6d 20 45   System E
0008: 72 72 6f 72 20 20 45 72   rror  Er
0010: 72 6f 72 20 63 6f 64 65   ror code
0018: 20 31 30 30 30 30 30 37    1000007
0020: 65 20 20 50 61 72 61 6d   e  Param
0028: 65 74 65 72 73 20 63 30   eters c0
0030: 30 30 30 30 30 35 2c 20   000005,
0038: 62 66 31 34 31 63 30 30   bf141c00
0040: 2c 20 61 62 38 63 32 39   , ab8c29
0048: 61 34 2c 20 61 62 38 63   a4, ab8c
0050: 32 36 61 30               26a0

0 Likes

hello 

i think you first setp by setp remove RAM and check your application if you face same problem every time 

you will reinstall windows and install actuall drivers.

0 Likes

I have been getting this same problem with the m4a88t-v evo/usb3 board with integrated ati hd 4250. I did a search for "ati2dvag infinite loop" and found a fix that worked for several people. I recently updated my driver with the 2/15/2011 update and I am still getting the blue screen. This is an old ATI problem that has been going on for years. I am going to try this when I get home tonight. Let me know how it works for you if you try it.

Right click-mouse over My Computer
Properties
Hardware(Tab)
Device Manager(button)
Click [+] next to System devices
right-mouse on CPU to AGP Controller (or whatever your controller is called, mine was SiS AGP)
Update Driver(button)

Select Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)
Next(button)
Select Don't search. I will choose the driver to install.
Next(button)
Select PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge
Next(button)
Finish(button)
Reboot.

Mike

0 Likes

Oops!

Those instructions I posted above are really old. I was in a hurry and I didn't even notice the "AGP controller" in the instructions. I'm glad to see that this issue has been revised in a new post but it would have been better if it had been fixed in a new driver. Hopefully you guys can come up with a fix. I can't figure it out.

Sorry.

0 Likes

Hi, just joined the forum having spent hours and hours trawling the net in search of the holy grail that is the answer to, "Why do I get the BSOD with the ati2dvag error message, and how can I stop it?" There seems to be a plethora of situations, and a myriad reasons causing this major, major issue which seems to have Microsoft and AMD in a Mexican stand-off, each saying, "Not our problem!" Well it is, and there are obviously conflicts which surely must be simple to fix, yet both companies are brushing the issue under their respective black-hole carpets; ignore it, it'll go away eventually. This one won't.

So, my BSOD on my desktop custom-built XP machine, containing an ATI Radeon HD2400 XT pci-e graphics card, manifests itself occasionally randomly, but in the most when using the search facility of Windows Explorer. (As occurs with SnacksCCM above.)

I had noticed that the crash, freeze, error beep, shut down followed by BS, always happens as the little dog assistant stands up and starts to chase its tail - bear with me, sounds daft I know. So I did the following:

1. Open the Windows XP search utility. Go to "Start," and click on "Search."

2. Click on "Change preferences" in the left search pane.

3. Click on "Without an animated screen character." You will now see the animated dog walk away and disappear from the screen.

I had to do it quickly though before the system crashed, and so far so good. I can 'explore' windows without the blues.

This, no doubt, will not work for anyone else, and makes no sense at all. Then again, it's Microsoft, who knows what may happen next.
0 Likes

I have a lot of problems and crashes with IE8 and they are basically screen monitoring hacks gone wrong "you can not alocate two memory spaces at the same time", you can tell. and microsoft uses modified versions of programming standardizations, they are just starting to use the W3C specifications, they are there for a reason so everyone can conform to them. very irritating.

0 Likes

Is microsoft direct X using OpenGL calls??????? I know microsoft only cares about nividia and would rather feed ati to the wolves but still, THIS IS ALL TELLING ME IT IS MICROSOFT AGAIN AND NOT ATI!!!

Has anyone tried ripping out the windows version of the OpenGL.dll so that windows will use the graphic cards OpenGL I have too do this when I go to use visual studio, Direct X also has backdoors in it that I have noticed especially while dealing with audio.

Macrovision ("data transfer") something is going on with that definately and it is really starting to get anoying I notice it all the time, Is macrovision even a law abiding company any more????

0 Likes

Exact same thing here: BSOD caused by infinite loop in ati2dvag.

The issue is 100% reproducible by opening the Windows Find window. The little dog lives for no more than 30 sec. and then the system dies.

Same happens after a few minutes of using Internet Explorer.

The problem appeared after upgrade to Catalyst 11-2. Version 10-5 worked fine. Will revert now to the older driver.

System:

Windows XP SP3

AMD 2400+, 1GB RAM, ATi HD2600

0 Likes

After a week of struggling with the issue, I can only confirm that this nasty bug has been introduced with one of the recent versions of Catalyst.

Installing Hotfix Catalyst 11-2 renders my system unusable. If this ever gets fixed - great, if not - I can recommend reverting to an older version (around 10.5).

0 Likes

Hi,

I can also confirm 11.2 is giving blue screens.

Version 11.3 is even more unstable. The Cathalyst isn't even able to start, because it doesn't find it's asseblies, as it says in the system log.

The latest working version for me is 10.8, driver version 8.762.0.0.

The cleaning tool I used is Driver Sweeper. I had to use it because after installing 11.3, 10.8 did not work anymore even after reinstalling.

I think these drivers are the worst piece of software I have ever seen. Do they even test those?

My video board is Asus ATI HD3650 AGP.

0 Likes

Hi,

It looks like general problem and a lot of people including me are suffering from that. AMD wake up and fix it !!!!!!!!

The last version of driver working for me is 9.4 (on XP). I hadn't problem on Windows Seven x64 with any version of driver but the problem came when I had to go back to XP Sp3. Catalyst 11.2. and 11.3 goes to BSOD - ati2dvag infinite loop.

My configuration:

MB - Gigabyte MA770-UD3

CPU - Phenom X4 925

RAM - 4GB

GK - Gigabyte HD3850

0 Likes
xxsawer
Journeyman III

Any news about 11.4 drivers?

Is this solved in this version or still the same?

0 Likes
techforums123
Journeyman III

I think you are using the old version, update it and check

0 Likes

Hi,

I've upgraded to 11.5, from 10.8 (which was the last one working for me) and the driver works now, no more blue screens, but Catalyst Control Center does not start. This is also an old problem. Searching on google, I found that Catalyst cannot load an assembly, because it's not installed, because the installer does not install new assembly if it finds an old version in the GAC (Global Assembly Cache for .NET). I've cleared the cache for AMD/ATI assemblies, reinstalled, but still it doesn't start.

At least I can use my computer now with the lastest version .

0 Likes

hi,

i have updated and checked it even, but there is no change. I need to know info about 11.8. can i??

http://btiw55.imscenemp.hop.clickbank.net

0 Likes

Hi,

Just installed 11.6. The BSOD is not occuring, but the Catalyst Control Center still doesn't start. Errors from the system even log are:

0000000007: 2011-07-10 13:41:40:000    Cannot connect to Runtime
 Error      Called by: System.RuntimeMethodHandle::_InvokeConstructor                                                   processID:02092 threadID:(                ) domainName:(ccc.exe                    ) assemblyName:(mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0000000008: 2011-07-10 13:41:40:000    Exception : Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
 Exception  Called by: ATI.ACE.LOG.Foundation.Services::LoadAssembly                                                    processID:02092 threadID:(                ) domainName:(ccc.exe                    ) assemblyName:(LOG.Foundation, Version=2.0.4161.39355, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=90ba9c70f846762e)
************************************************************************************************************************

0000000012: 2011-07-10 13:41:44:015    Could not find Type [ATI.ACE.CLI.Component.Dashboard.Dashboard] from [CLI.Component.Dashboard] in assembly [CLI.Component.Dashboard, Version=2.0.4161.39378, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=90ba9c70f846762e]
 Error      Called by: ATI.ACE.LOG.Foundation.Services::LoadAssembly                                                    processID:02092 threadID:(                ) domainName:(ccc.exe                    ) assemblyName:(LOG.Foundation, Version=2.0.4161.39355, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=90ba9c70f846762e)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Likes

Hi,

I just installed the version 11.8. Catalyst control center STILL doesn't start and now the "wrong underscan default value trough hdmi" problem occurs again. Time to fix ATI problems with the regedit!

Later edit: I uninstalled 11.8, installed 11.4, and, as if by magic, the Catalyst Control Center started. Great! Then I upgraded only the driver from 11.8, and it still works OK. I'll try to upgrade Catalyst, hoping the problem was somehow fixed.

0 Likes

I have been rolling back to 10.4

0 Likes

Originally posted by: techforums123 I think you are using the old version, update it and check

Thanks for your recoomendation. This will help me a lot to correct this things.

0 Likes