cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

upton
Journeyman III

Linux GPUPerfAPI 2.5 on Cypress or RV710

We have an Ubuntu machine with both a Cypress and an RV710 card.  Based on my understanding, we should be able to open counters on at least the Cypress device.  I have a test application just to see what we can access that basically does clGetPlatformIDs, clGetDeviceIDs, GP_Initialize, and then for each device I try to open and close a GPA context.  Both devices say they are unsupported:

platforms returned: 1

platform info name: ATI Stream

platform version: OpenCL 1.1 ATI-Stream-v2.3 (451)

platform profile: FULL_PROFILE

=====Device info=====

clGetDeviceIDs: success

devices returned: 2

GPA initialize: Ok

name for device[0]: Cypress

GPA OpenContext: Hardware Not Supported

GPA CloseContext: Counters Not Open

name for device[1]: ATI RV710

GPA OpenContext: Hardware Not Supported

GPA CloseContext: Counters Not Open

Am I incorrect that we should be able to open counters, or does that mean I'm probably doing something wrong in the code?

0 Likes
5 Replies
upton
Journeyman III

Anybody?

Alternately, can anybody confirm that they have successfully used GPUPerfAPI under Linux on a Radeon HD 5870, or has anybody else had similar issues?

0 Likes

Sorry for the delay in responding.

You should be able to access the perf counters on both of them using GPUPerfAPI 2.5, however I have not tested those on Linux recently. I will give it a try in the next few days.

In the mean time, make sure you are passing the command queue into GPA_OpenContext() and not the device pointer - several people have made that mistake before.

0 Likes

yes i has used GPUPerfAPI on Linux wit Radeon 5850.

0 Likes

Originally posted by: plohrmann

In the mean time, make sure you are passing the command queue into GPA_OpenContext() and not the device pointer - several people have made that mistake before.

Ah, using the command queue did in fact work.  I had just been doing some tests to get information about the card and was only doing initialization steps, so I hadn't created a command queue.

(The explanation in the documentation that the pointer for GPA_OpenContext is "Typically, a device pointer or handle to a rendering context" is not particularly clear, then.)

0 Likes

section 2.3 from guide.

The supplied context must either point to a DirectX device, be the handle to the OpenGL rendering context, or the OpenCL command queue handle.

but i think i made same mistake.

0 Likes