cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

sschuberth
Adept I

Uninstalling ATI Stream SDK 2.3 on Windows removes OpenCL.dll

I just realized that when uninstalling Stream, in addition to removing atiocl(64).dll, OpenCL.dll always gets removed from the system, too. Since the switch to ICDs, OpenCL.dll is just a stub that is shared across all OpenCL drivers on the system. So removing it will make any other OpenCL drivers installed on the system and appliocations depending on the fail to work.

This happens although I just checked that

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDLLs

contains

"C:\\Windows\\system32\\OpenCL.dll"=dword:00000003

So the uninstaller removes the file although its reference count is > 0 instead of just decreasing the reference count.

Any chance we can see this fixed in the next release?

0 Likes
4 Replies
himanshu_gautam
Grandmaster

Thanks for forwarding this. I have reported this to concerned people.

Can you please post the bahaviour of NV SDK under similar condition. Does it leave the opencl.dll as such if its reference count is not zero.

0 Likes

I just plugged in the ATI GPU again and uninstalled the NVIDIA driver 267.05. Unfortunately, the NVIDIA uninstaller behaves the same way as the ATI uninstaller, OpenCL.dll is removed in any case, ignoring the shared DLL reference count. I'll report that to NVIDIA, too.

0 Likes

Thanks for the information.

0 Likes

sschuberth,

Can you please explain how do you uninstall the AMD APP SDK so your openCL.dll gets deleted. Does it happen while SDK uninstall or Driver uninstall?Please explain your steps in detail.

0 Likes