cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

moncojhr
Journeyman III

Dual monitors + Multi GPU, Opencl setup fglrx linux

I have two monitors that I would like to setup in the "bigdesktop mode" so I can drag windows across both monitors and maximize windows to just one monitor.

I have two GPU's, i'd like to be able to access both for opencl tasks and have the monitor configuration I said before...

So far i've only been able to do one or the other, can someone help me work out a way to do this?

I have 11.1 fglrx and 2.3 opencl sdk...

0 Likes
4 Replies
genaganna
Journeyman III

Originally posted by: moncojhr I have two monitors that I would like to setup in the "bigdesktop mode" so I can drag windows across both monitors and maximize windows to just one monitor.

I have two GPU's, i'd like to be able to access both for opencl tasks and have the monitor configuration I said before...

So far i've only been able to do one or the other, can someone help me work out a way to do this?

I have 11.1 fglrx and 2.3 opencl sdk...

To access multiple GPUs under Linux, ensure the DISPLAY environment variable is set to :0
instead of :0.0. Alternatively, set the COMPUTE environment variable to :0. If COMPUTE is set,
the OpenCL SDK uses the this variable, rather than DISPLAY, to determine the available GPU
devices.

0 Likes

I have been able to get access to the cards by using these variables, however when I set the monitors up in "bigmonitor" or "xinerama" modes to get the display how I want it. Only one GPU get's detected, and using the environment variables make no difference.

So the question is, how could I setup dual monitors and still be able to use both GPU's?

0 Likes

do not use xinerama.

0 Likes

I have worked out a way around this problem, if i use bigdesktop and initilize the 2nd card as an individual X (same like --adapater=all would do) , everything works fine, except that windows maximized accross both monitors. T

he solution to this was to use compiz instead of metacity, which seems to correctly detect the monitors, so I can maximize windows fine.

Ontop of that changing the X screen layout so there is a gap (1px is enough) made it possible to stop the mouse going onto the other non-existant screen.

0 Likes