cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

bayoumi
Journeyman III

New Linux-64 Cat 11.1 /HD6970 / SDK2.3 Wavefront Control

I have just downloaded the new Catalyist 11.1 on Linux 64b. It finally recognizes the HD6970.

I understand the SDk2.3 does not officially support Cayman, but I wanted to post some issues, to make sure they are looked at before new SDK upgrade or pre-SDK2.4 bug fixes.

OpenCL seems to be getting correct results, seems like improved DP performance. Here is the problem:

The SDK/Cat11.1 do not allow programmer control on wavefront size, which we used to have using the local threads input to clEnqueueNDRangeKernel. It does not make a difference in performance if I put locaLthreads NULL, 1,64 or 256.

Also, the kernel does not allow get_local_size(0) anymore to compile.

I sincerely  hope it will not be months till we see  fixes/upgrades

Thanks

0 Likes
2 Replies

bayoumi,
You never have control of the wavefront size as this is something specified by the hardware design. All you can control is the local workgroup size, which is not the wavefront size. If you have a kernel that isn't compiling correctly, please post the kernel here.
0 Likes

Micah,

Yes I meant group size.

Next, I take back all my statements ... I found out while preparing the test case for you there was a variable commented in my code !!!

So, everything seems fine comparing 10.12/HD5870 vs. 11.1/HD6970... sorry about my overexcitment, but I still hope AMD will consider continuous bug fixes rather than long durations between releases

Thank you for your prompt reply

0 Likes