cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

FrodoTheGiant
Journeyman III

Is this forum only hosted by AMD - or do people from AMD actually read/reply here?

If this forum is

1) only hosted by AMD, then fine, I can life with that.

2) for AMD users that have questions about AMD software/hardware and would like to have answers from AMD - then I would advise AMD staff to go see Nvidias forums. There's MUCH better support!

0 Likes
11 Replies
nou
Exemplar

AMD staff are read and answer questions in this forum. for example LeeHowes, MicahVillmow, pboundier, frali ....

0 Likes
Meteorhead
Challenger

1) Yes, it is hosted BY amd, although I think you wanted to ask "is it hosted FOR amd".

2) If I were an AMD employee with a decent sense of humor, I would too let the forumers answer this question and not react. It is true that a little more verbosity wouldn't hurt, but things are only left uncommented when they are not allowed to give out information on the topic. (Compiler intimacies, internal HW tricks, and other ideas that are reusable by third party developers)

3) I too thought that support is better on the green side of the force, but when I came across a problem in the NV CUDA compiler, I asked on the forum and nobody answered for a week (or ever after). My question wasn't too naive, and I made it clear that I'm a newbie to CUDA but experienced in OpenCL, so after reading all the docs, forums, google hits and still not finding the answer, a little help would be apriciated. But nobody answered. So please tell me where to find this "MUCH better support", because I have not come across it.

0 Likes

Originally posted by: Meteorhead ... It is true that a little more verbosity wouldn't hurt, but things are only left uncommented when they are not allowed to give out information on the topic. ...

That was meant to be a joke, right?

0 Likes

Yes, it is...

0 Likes

Yes?

What would you prefer us to do? Have people who know nothing paid to answer questions just because you want quick answer? Have engineers spend half their time replying to forum messages rather than doing engineering work?

0 Likes

I was hoping the sarcasm came through that "yes", but seems I still gotta learn how to convey that in text. Frodo clearly has a rock solid opinion, so I'll just save my time and not argue.

0 Likes

Originally posted by: Meteorhead I was hoping the sarcasm came through that "yes", but seems I still gotta learn how to convey that in text.

Oh no, not to worry. My yes was in answer to Frodo's original question, not directed at you.

AMD's engineers post on the forums. We get paid to post on the forums at that in that we it on work time (although it's currently 01:30, so I'm not sure if this counts). It wouldn't make much sense for an engineer to only post on the forums, would it? He wouldn't be much of an engineer, then.

0 Likes

Originally posted by: LeeHowes Yes?

What would you prefer us to do? Have people who know nothing paid to answer questions just because you want quick answer? Have engineers spend half their time replying to forum messages rather than doing engineering work?

Depends. The market for scientific computing is dominated by Nvidia. If AMD likes it this way, then OK. If not, they could pay an engineer to reply to questions here. I am an engineer myself - so no one asks you to work for free.

There is this saying out there: "ATI has the hardware - Nvidia the software. It's a tragedy".

Maybe one day ATI (AMD) can have the hardware AND the software (+ support, etc...) ?

0 Likes

Nvidia dominates a market that essentially serves as a really expensive advertising campaing. Good for them. There's not presently a whole lot of money to be had in scientific computing. Just ask anyone who worked at Mitrionics, Clearspeed, or Cray. As an engineer you should understand why AMD doesn't hire a team of thousands of experts in a newly emerging standard to answer every one of your questions in a matter of seconds at no cost to you. In fact, you should understand why no company does this.

0 Likes

Originally posted by: rick.weberAs an engineer you should understand why AMD doesn't hire a team of thousands of experts in a newly emerging standard to answer every one of your questions in a matter of seconds at no cost to you.

That also is a joke, right?

- thousands of experts?

- answer every one of your questions in a matter of seconds?

Does the word "exaggeration" mean anything to you ... ?

0 Likes

Successful troll is successful.

0 Likes