cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

rahulgarg
Adept II

Zacate APU and double precision

I was wondering if the GPU in the Zacate APU supports double precision (fp64) operations? I am guessing it does not support fp64 but an official confirmation will be useful.

0 Likes
8 Replies
Tristan23
Journeyman III

Seriously guys, this is a Yes/No question.

Is no one from AMD willing/able to type two letters and press "Send" ???

I guess some things never change:

ATI: Excellent hardware - sloppy drivers/support.

Nvidia: Not-bad hardware -  excellent drivers/support.

0 Likes

IMHO 90% no. you can see that AMD include DP support only to their high end product. and Zacate most likely is still under NDA so employes of AMD can't comment on this.

0 Likes

Zacate and Ontario were officially released today. So We're eagerly awating the answer. (Although I very much suspect too that it does not support DP) This practice of supporting DP only on high end products should vanish soon, if "the future is fusion", than IGP should also be able to calculate DP just like the CPU. Some games do calculate physics and keep track of some FP variables in DP.

0 Likes

As nou mentioned, we cannot comment on unreleased products which is why there have been no replies. Answering the question, the Zacate and Ontario APU's do not have DP support. The reason is simply one of size and power constraints.
0 Likes

Thanks for the confirmation Micah!

0 Likes

Are AVX instructions supported, pls? Because AVX includes a DP set...

0 Likes

of course that CPU will support DP. but GPU will not.

0 Likes

The Bobcat CPU that powers Zacate of course supports all the usual FP operations  (upto SSE3) but not AVX. The GPU supports only upto fp32 as confirmed above.

0 Likes