Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

melomania
Adept I

Quad buffer stereoscopic programming

Hi,

I'm searching for a powerfull graphic card that can be used for a stereoscopic application.

Does anybody know if the HD5000 or HD6000 series cards can be used for this?

I know for OpenGL this means the card and driver should support the quad buffer feature. If this is not possible, does it support some equivalent feature using DirexctX?

I searched the forum but could not find information about this.

9 Replies
frali
Staff

The OpenGL stereo feature is only supported on workstation card right now.

0 Likes

Hi,

is it supported on all workstation boards ? or only workstation boards with the stereo connector ?

Thanks for clarification,

Nicolas P.

0 Likes

And what about DirectX stereoscopic programming?

Also not possible?

0 Likes

It depends.

QBS is supported by all workstation boards, but certain stereo mode have dependency on the specific connectors.

For the so-called active stereo, we needs Firepro boards with stereo connectors + sync emitter + active shuttle glasses.

For those passive or auto mode, any FirePro boards can meet your needs.

Hope it helps.

0 Likes

Is that passive mode the classical polarized stereo ?

Could you explain or give a link on the auto-mode ?

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes

Yes. Passive stereo indicate the classical polarized way of showing stereo images simutaneously to two monitors respectively.

For auto stereo, I don't know whether we have an official illustration of this term or not. But in general it implies the stereo behaviors like:

- Vertical/Horizontal pixel columns alternate between left and right images 

- A beam splitter directs the left and right images to the corresponding eyes of the viewer.

Hope that helps.

0 Likes
matson2000
Journeyman III

Hi,

I recently bought an HP Envy 17 3D laptop with mobility Radeon 5850 and active stereo display (120 Hz with shutter glasses). Stereo works in Win 7 64bit only with directx in full screen mode using the Tridef DDD driver extension. This is not useful for me, since the apps I need to use in stereo (modelular modeling) require openGL, which is not supported by the driver (and the alternative driver provider IZ3D stopped supporting openGL as well).

I hoped that quad buffered stereo would work in linux with the 5850m. In Ubuntu 10.10 (2.6.35) xorg.conf, I enabled options "stereo" and "StereoSyncEnable" and disabled "VideoOverlay" and "openGLOverlay".

However, active stereo doesn't work and in Xorg.0.log I get

[    16.093] (WW) fglrx(0): Option "VideoOverlay" is not used
[    16.093] (WW) fglrx(0): Option "Stereo" is not used
[    16.093] (WW) fglrx(0): Option "StereoSyncEnable" is not used

Does this mean the driver does not support stereo?
I am using the latest Catalyst 10.12 (driver packaging version 8.801-101125a-109596C-ATI). Hardware-accelerated non-stereo openGL works fine otherwise.

0 Likes

stereo is supported only on Fire professional cards. all this 3D rendering is crap for me. they (both nVidia and AMD) don't want expose Quad buffer rendering to consumer cards. instead they hack games to provide stereo rendering. which introduce load of render artefacts.

you want quad buffer rendering? go buy proffesional card.

0 Likes

I have got a FireGL v7200 running on Windows Vista 64 bit.

I want to enable the GL Quad Buffer to see stereoscopic images in a Optoma projector (120Hz) with DLP Link. The projector sends the synchronisation data to the active glasses, so I don't need to use the Stereographics Connection of the video card.

I am not able to activate the Quad Buffer. According to the help file, this option should appear in the Workstation entry of the menu. However, this entry does not appear when using the last drivers, 8.583.

When using some older drivers (8.453.1.3) the Workstation entry appears, but it has only two options: 10 bit .... and mixing the buffers among screens, but nothing about stereo or Quad Buffer.

The manual of the video card says that I should activate the Quad Buffer stereo in the Advanced Settings tab on the Display Properties. But I haven't found it either.

0 Likes