cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

jski
Journeyman III

Can I use Stream with ...

Can I use the latest Stream with an AMD CPU and a nVidia GPU?  Just happens to be the latest box I have.

0 Likes
7 Replies
dmeiser
Elite

Yes, you will be able to use e.g. OpenCL with a CPU device. You won't be able to access the nVidia GPU through the stream sdk.

0 Likes
bigface
Journeyman III

yes,an AMD CPU will be better
0 Likes

Can I use Stream SDK to develop an application that will run on on a nVidia card if a nVidia device driver is loaded; that is can I develop code like I would using OpenGL?

0 Likes

AFAIK, You can run any openCL code on any openCL compliant device. Anyhow you must have the openCL implementation by the device vendor of that particular device. The code generated using any implementation should work with any other implementation( or device) without any major modifications.

0 Likes

Just to clarify. If I create an exe with say the nVidia development sdk and take that to a machine with a OpenCl conpliant ATI card say 5870 that has the ATI drivers installed. Will it execute and use the ATI gpu. Or do a need a separate exe linked with the ATI sdk?

0 Likes

it should work. there is no need for separate exe for AMD gpu and nVidia GPU. thought you can tune two kernels for AMD and nVidia for optimal performance due to architecture difference.

0 Likes

Yes if you have two kernels optimized for different GPUs(AMD & NV). You can have a single good solution for both hardwares.

What i meant above was the kernel compiled using one vendor implementation may not run on other vendor's hardware. But if you are doing JIT compilation of kernel any openCL code should work on any openCL compliant device with out major modifications.

0 Likes