cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

Mad_Max
Journeyman III

Image Support on AMD

I have a computer with AMD CPU and AMD Radeon 5870. I made an example program which make queries of OpenCL resources by using AMD Stream. It shows two OpenCL devices: CPU and GPU. That's right. But, the GPU device hasn't the support of images. I mean the flag CL_DEVICE_IMAGE_SUPPORT is CL_FALSE. The GPU device by NVIDIA has this support. It is possible I had a mistake at driver installation, but I have no idea where one I was wrong. The output of the example see below.

Has been found 1 platforms. CL_PLATFORM_NAME : ATI Stream CL_PLATFORM_VENDOR : Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. CL_PLATFORM_VERSION : OpenCL 1.0 ATI-Stream-v2.0.0 CL_PLATFORM_PROFILE : FULL_PROFILE CL_PLATFORM_EXTENSIONS : ======== OpenCL Device Info ======== CL_DEVICE_TYPE : CL_DEVICE_TYPE_CPU CL_DEVICE_NAME : AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 Processor CL_DEVICE_VENDOR : AuthenticAMD (Vendor ID 4098) CL_DEVICE_VERSION : OpenCL 1.0 ATI-Stream-v2.0.0 CL_DRIVER_VERSION : 1.0 CL_DEVICE_PROFILE : FULL_PROFILE CL_DEVICE_EXTENSIONS : cl_khr_global_int32_base_atomics cl_khr_global_int32_extended_atomics cl_khr_local_int32_base_atomics cl_k hr_local_int32_extended_atomics cl_khr_int64_base_atomics cl_khr_int64_extended_atomics cl_khr_byte_addressable_store CL_DEVICE_MAX_COMPUTE_UNITS : 4 CL_DEVICE_MAX_WORK_ITEM_DIMENSIONS : 3 CL_DEVICE_MAX_WORK_ITEM_SIZES : 1801415779 1633841004 1597125492 CL_DEVICE_MAX_WORK_GROUP_SIZE : 1024 CL_DEVICE_MAX_CLOCK_FREQUENCY : 800 MHz CL_DEVICE_ADDRESS_BITS : 64 CL_DEVICE_GLOBAL_MEM_SIZE : 3072 Mb CL_DEVICE_LOCAL_MEM_SIZE : 32 Kb CL_DEVICE_IMAGE_SUPPORT : No ======== OpenCL Device Info ======== CL_DEVICE_TYPE : CL_DEVICE_TYPE_GPU CL_DEVICE_NAME : Cypress CL_DEVICE_VENDOR : Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. (Vendor ID 4098) CL_DEVICE_VERSION : OpenCL 1.0 ATI-Stream-v2.0.0 CL_DRIVER_VERSION : CAL 1.4.515 CL_DEVICE_PROFILE : FULL_PROFILE CL_DEVICE_EXTENSIONS : cl_khr_global_int32_base_atomics cl_khr_global_int32_extended_atomics cl_khr_local_int32_base_atomics cl_k hr_local_int32_extended_atomics CL_DEVICE_MAX_COMPUTE_UNITS : 20 CL_DEVICE_MAX_WORK_ITEM_DIMENSIONS : 3 CL_DEVICE_MAX_WORK_ITEM_SIZES : 1801415779 1633841004 1597125492 CL_DEVICE_MAX_WORK_GROUP_SIZE : 256 CL_DEVICE_MAX_CLOCK_FREQUENCY : 850 MHz CL_DEVICE_ADDRESS_BITS : 32 CL_DEVICE_GLOBAL_MEM_SIZE : 256 Mb CL_DEVICE_LOCAL_MEM_SIZE : 32 Kb CL_DEVICE_IMAGE_SUPPORT : No

0 Likes
14 Replies
genaganna
Journeyman III

Mad Max,

You are right image is not supported yet. You can expect in upcomming releases.

Edit : You are getting wrong values for CL_DEVICE_MAX_WORK_ITEM_SIZES.

For CPU it should be 1024 1024 1024

For GPU it should be 256 256 256

0 Likes

OK, I'll waiting for the next release. Just I was worried it was my mistake.
Thank you for reply.

0 Likes

Any idea about the timeline for next release supporting image functions?

Also, I'm quite new to OpenCL, so I'm probably missing something obvious, but it seems to me the OpenCL spec (in 6.11.8) doesn't say anything about the image functions being optional, so I assumed all OpenCL implementations would support this, without having to check for certain vendor extensions.  Is this not correct?

What else that is mandatory in OpenCL spec can I expect to be missing in the current AMD implementation?

Thanks, Matt

0 Likes

Matt, it is in the query devices section of the spec(4.2).
CL_DEVICE_IMAGE_SUPPORT - cl_bool - Is CL_TRUE if images are supported
by the OpenCL device and CL_FALSE
otherwise.
0 Likes

I see that AMD has just released a new stream SDK with OpenCL 1.1 support, so I downloaded this and tried it along with the latest driver (8.753), and I see that CL_DEVICE_IMAGE_SUPPORT still reports FALSE.

I am very surprised that image support still has not been added.  When can we expect image support?

Thanks, Matt

0 Likes

mattmclin,
What device are you attempting to use images on? The HD5XXX series of devices have supported images since the 2.1 release.
0 Likes

Hi Micah,

I am using the FirePro V7800.  I thought this was the same class of GPU as the HD5xxx (Evergreen)?

0 Likes

you should have Image support then. post CLInfo output.

0 Likes

Will there ever be Image support for the Radeon Mobility HD4670 (RV730)? If so, when? If not, why?

0 Likes

There is no plan to support images on the RV7XX series of cards since the hardware does not support all of the formats required for OpenCL.
0 Likes

Hi,

Is image support available for AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955 Processor

to operate OpenCL images with CPU 

(OpenCL 1.1 ATI-Stream-v2.3 (451) display Image support: No ) ?  

Is it official and final decision from AMD not to support NONE of image formats for ATI RV770 ? 

thanks for answering in advance

0 Likes

dragonxi4amd,
RV7XX series of cards are missing hardware to support images in OpenCL. As image support is an all or nothing feature in OpenCL, the answer is that we are not planning on supporting them.
0 Likes

Thanks for your answer! 

Question 1:

What is the latest ATI graphics board supporting all image formats ?

Question 2:

Does AMD support image for AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955 Processor ?

Question 3:

If not (see below),  what AMD processor do I need to  buy ?

Number of platforms: 1

Platform Profile: FULL_PROFILE

Platform Version: OpenCL 1.1 ATI-Stream-v2.3 (451)

Platform Name: ATI Stream

Platform Vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

Platform Extensions: cl_khr_icd cl_amd_event_callback cl_amd_offline_devices cl_khr_d3d10_sharing

Device Type: CL_DEVICE_TYPE_CPU

Device ID: 4098

Max compute units: 4

Image support: No

Name: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955 Processor

Vendor: AuthenticAMD

Driver version: 2.0

Profile: FULL_PROFILE

Version: OpenCL 1.1 ATI-Stream-v2.3 (451)

Extensions: cl_amd_fp64 cl_khr_global_int32_base_atomics cl_khr_global_int32_extended_atomics cl_khr_local_int32_base_atomics cl_khr_local_int32_extended_atomics cl_khr_int64_base_atomics cl_khr_int64_extended_atomics cl_khr_byte_addressable_store cl_khr_gl_sharing cl_ext_device_fission cl_amd_device_attribute_query cl_amd_media_ops cl_amd_popcnt cl_amd_printf cl_khr_d3d10_sharing 

0 Likes

1. radeon 5xxx and up support images.

2. yes but it is only in beta. you can activate it with env var set CPU_IMAGE_SUPPORT=1

3. all AMD CPU which support SSE.

0 Likes