Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

Meteorhead
Challenger

SimpleGL example need additional support

Hi!

My problem is, I'm trying to run SimpleGL example from the SDK on Windows XP, compiled onto CPU (Intel CPU with chipset integrated GPU). However when I run the program, it tells me:

"Support for necessary OpenGL extensions missing"

glut and glew is included in the SDK, Intel CPU should do the work fine, and no matter what the GPU is, it should be able to handle OpenGL.

What am I missing?

0 Likes
6 Replies
LeeHowes
Staff

That's a GL interop example isn't it? I'm not sure it's meaningful for the Intel CPU to support mapping of GL buffers into OpenCL buffers to support interop. It doubt the CPU device supports that extension.

0 Likes

This is on a computer other than mine. Mine has a Core-i5 in it with Mobility 5870, and it works both on CPU and GPU. That's why I was confident it would work on a Core Duo.

0 Likes

Ah, in that case I imagine the problem is that the AMD OpenCL driver doesn't know how to write to an Intel OpenGL buffer, when it can write to an AMD graphics driver's OpenGL buffer.

Someone more knowledgeble might be abke to give a better answer.

0 Likes

Meteorhead,
AMD's SDK is only guaranteed to work when one of the devices is an AMD device. We do not write drivers for Intel integrated graphics so you need to use Intel's OpenCL SDK to have it work there, if it is supported at all.

0 Likes

Okay, thanks for the answers. I did not know writing to an OpenGL buffer would be driver dependant. I thought OpenGL is open enough that drawing to OpenGL contexts is standard enough.

Naturally I do not expect AMD to write Intel drivers, but one can get very used to the issue that compiling onto CPUs tend to work crossvendor, and might forget the fact that when standard graphics are involved, things start to become less natural.

Anyhow, thanks for the info, and could someone tell me how to change the title of a topic to add the "SOLVED" state?

0 Likes

Meteorhead,
The CPU itself is not what supports OpenGL, the graphics drivers do. If the CPU supported OpenGL then you could do GL->CL interop via the CPU. Also writing to an OpenGL buffer might be possible if the device is known by the CL driver. However, AMD does not even detect the intel integrated device since we don't have driver support for it.
0 Likes