cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

earthforce_1
Journeyman III

HD5970 crossfire under Ubuntu 10.10 w GA-X58A-UD7 motherboard

No Joy.  Been trying to get this working and ripping what is left of my hair out in the attempt.  According to what I see over at Phoronix some people have managed to get X-fire up and running with other cards - yet I don't see any success stories with the HD5970 as of yet.

I was able to get it to semi-boot with nomodeset option in grub, but it still dies apparently even before X even starts.

0 Likes
4 Replies
bridgman
Staff

When you say "crossfire" do you mean "single 5970" (which has 2 GPUs so requires crossfire even for a single board) or dual 5970s (4 GPUs) ? I think I remember you mentioning dual 5970s somewhere, either on Phoronix or on a bug report. If you do mean dual 5970s, suggest you try to get the system running with a single 5970 first.

If the fglrx installation was successful then IIRC the nomodeset option should be forced automatically, so might be an installation problem.

Which fglrx driver version are you running, and are you running 32-bit or 64-bit OS ? Note that 4 GPUs eat up a lot of address space on a 32-bit OS, and somewhere around 4 GPUs I think you start to run into problems... another argument for trying single 5970 first.

0 Likes

One dual GPU HD5970 works fine; I can't get two HD5970 cards working properly in crossfire.  So one card == Two GPUs works fine, two cards == four GPUs does not.

I am running the 64 big Ubuntu 10.10 with 12G of RAM  Hope that clears things up.

0 Likes

I don't remember the details but I think multicard systems need some additional parameters when you run aticonfig after installing the driver. Might be as simple as aticonfig --initial --adapters=all, maybe throw in -f for good luck.

If you run aticonfig -help (or --help) and look near the end of the output I believe the aticonfig --initial options are listed.

0 Likes

So it should be a supported configuration then?

0 Likes