cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

What's the maximum number of ATI GPUs officially supported by Windows drivers?

Year ago it wasn't possible to use more than 4. I've seen some reports about working 3x5970 configs since then but under Linux.

What's about Windows? Was 4x limit been increased finally?

One of our users trying to setup 3x5970 system and even with dummy plugs/monitors attached to each of 5970 DVI ports it fails to operate properly -- system simply lock ups after several seconds of work. There no problem with PSU, so this isn't the case.

0 Likes
7 Replies
himanshu_gautam
Grandmaster

I can confirm Working with 8 GPUs in a system on both linux and windows platform.

0 Likes

Can you please provide more details about this system?

What motherboards was used, what GPUs? Which version of Catalyst was installed, are there any dummy plugs were used to make all GPUs recognized by Windows? Which software you've used to make sure that all 8 GPUs in fact works and producing correct results?

0 Likes

empty_knapsack,

The Linux system had following configuration:

ATI driver: Catalyst 10.4

CPU: Two Quad-Core AMD Opteron

Chipset: NVIDIA nForce Professional 3600 and 3050

RAM: 32 GB DDR2

We plugged 8 monitors to these GPUs. CAL's FindNumDevices as well as OpenCL showed 8 GPUs. We also ran a OpenCL reduction program that used all 8 GPUs and got correct result.

0 Likes

Hi,

It's nice to hear that, but this raises a question: what performance do you have compared with 8 GPUs in 8 different computers? And as others asked: what boards were used?

best regards,

Alfonso

0 Likes

empty_knapsack,

We plugged 8 monitors to these GPUs. CAL's FindNumDevices as well as OpenCL showed 8 GPUs. We also ran a OpenCL reduction program that used all 8 GPUs and got correct result

0 Likes

I tested 4 gpu with 2xhd5970 on linux.

Linux show 4 gpu, result is correct.

But the performance is decrease 50%.

I am doubt about driver bug..

AMD don't support multi-gpu with hd5970 on linux.

AMD policy for multi-gpu, only support FireStream series product, not radeon product.

himanshu.gautam, check performance!

0 Likes
Alice_Sunny
Journeyman III

It is worth to study
0 Likes