Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

n_perrotta
Journeyman III

Multpiple GPUs and GUI freezing

Hi.

I've a workstation with 2xHD5770 (only the first one has a monitor connected), Linux UBUNTU 10.04, ATI STREAM 2.2, ATI DRIVER 10.9.
I tried to do the following:
- inside one shell I've set "export DISPLAY=:0.0" and I've run a simple shell script display the DATE every second
- inside a second shell I've set "export DISPLAY=:0.1" and I've run the MatrixMultiplication program using large matrix (5120x5120 each)

Result: during OpenCL MatrixMultiplication program execution (4 secs overall) I had the freeze of both the program inside the 1st shell and the Ubuntu Desktop.

Any suggestion to avoid this "side effect" ?
I would expect to not have any hang since I've used the second 5770 with no display connected.

Thanks for help.

NIKO

0 Likes
3 Replies
himanshu_gautam
Grandmaster

n.perrota,

Do you still face the problem? Are you able to run opencl programs on a GPU which is not connected to display. It might be the case that you are actually running everything on the same gpu and hence things serialize.

Can you confirm that you observe the behaviour you reported with latest SDKs and Driver?

0 Likes

Hi.

To be honest, since I had that problem I decided to move to NVIDIA considering also that NVIDIA Cuda and OpenCL do not require a running X session.

I was very disappointed also because I know that my 2 HD5770 are much powerful that my 2 GTS450.

Do you think that now my problem could be overcome ?

Kind regards,

NIKO.

0 Likes

hi n.perrotta,

Yes I think executing different programs on different GPUs is available. I do not have a dual GPU system myself, so It would be nice if you can test your configuration again with latest software.

It would be nice if you can post some test case along with CLInfo output.

0 Likes