Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

datlatec
Journeyman III

5970 expected performance

Hi,

I know the ATI linux drivers are buggy at the moment, but as no indication has been given so far as to how close to a fixed driver release AMD is I'm considering my options.

Is the 5970 core the same as the 5870? So, should I expect, bar the single PCIe communication bandwidth shared between both cores, twice the performance of the 5870?

The issue is I have a 5830 and it gives me ~80% of the performance of a single 5970 core, and I read from other people's experiences that they could get more than 150% on the 5870, compared to a single 5970 core, using the same benchmarks.

So is the driver actually impairing performance of a single core on the 5970, or is the 5870 actually 150% faster that the said single core?

0 Likes
3 Replies
datlatec
Journeyman III

I obviously posted this on the wrong forum. Can a moderator move this to opencl, please?

0 Likes

This is a driver issue that should be fixed in an upcoming driver release. Once we release the driver that supports the dual GPU on a single PCB graphics cards, you should see a performance improvement over a single GPU.
0 Likes

That is very good news, but is there some time frame for the new driver? I am a developer myself so I know these predictions are guesstimates at best, but a general sense of time here would be very helpful.

Just a simple in a week, a month or a year is good enough, so I can decide on what I'll do with the hardware already bought and what I'll buy next.

0 Likes