Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

jbensabat
Journeyman III

linear algebra with opencl on the firestream 9270

firestream 9270 and opencl

Dear all

we have a firestream 9270 and we are trying to work with the opencl environment. we are mostly interested in fast sparse linear algebra. We have seen that the examples that we run do not show a tremendous improvement between GPU and CPU. We started looking at the problem and found out that Images can greatly improve the situation. Unfortunately these are supported on the 9270. Is there a work-around ? Are we doing somwthing wrong ?

thanks

jac

0 Likes
5 Replies
himanshu_gautam
Grandmaster

jbensabat,

Images are not supported on 9270.

To confirm check the output of clInfo sample.

OpenCL is only Beta supported on Firestream cards.

I hope your problem is clarified.

0 Likes
jbensabat
Journeyman III

Thank you for your reply

but still the question is whether there is a hope having this kind of support in the near future ?

Also if such an important feature is missing is there a way to have a work around or just to forget about efficient calculations in the 9270 ?

I would really thank you if you could provide a clear answer here too because we have been wasting too much time with a gpu that seems (I sincerely hope that I am wrong) very far from being mature

thanks

jac

0 Likes

Image support is a hardware issue.

firestream 9270 can never have image support.

Image support is avalable in 5xx cards.

0 Likes

hi

Thanks for your answer

if so is the case, can you suggest any other solution that is suitable to the 9270

jac

0 Likes

Maybe you have seen the article "Optimization Case Study: Diagonal Sparse Matrix Vector Multiplication". So just in case you haven't, have a look at the optimizations and graphs there.

http://developer.amd.com/documentation/articles/Pages/OpenCL-Optimization-Case-Study.aspx

0 Likes