Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

Raistmer
Adept II

Error at Stream Profiler launch

Value does not fall within the expected range

When I try to profilemy OpenCL app withing VS 2008 and start new session in OpenCL Session List I get error box with this message"Value does not fall within the expected range"
And app doesn't start at all.
What is that enigmatic value and what range it should have and how to use Stream Profiler in such situation?
0 Likes
7 Replies
bpurnomo
Staff

Are you trying to profile a non C or C++ application?  Please post what you have in the Linker -> Output File field from the project property pages.

0 Likes

I'm trying to prifile C++/OpenCL application.
It was compiled with Intel C++ compiler, not with MS-VC++ if it does matter.
Requested field is: $(OutDir)\MB_6.10_win_SSE3_ATI_r119.exe

EDIT: btw, I was able to run profiler with same way organazid Output File field with another app (and older SDK) before - that app was compiled with MS-VC++ though.
0 Likes

Any news on topic?
0 Likes

Rather than hacking the Visual Studio project file so that the ATI Stream Profiler works with an application compiled with Intel C++ compiler, please use the command line interface of the ATI Stream Profiler (see the release note how to use this feature) to profile your application.

0 Likes
Raistmer
Adept II

Hm, about what hack you talk? I just use ICC ability to integrate into VS and Stream Profiler ability (apparently broken one) to integrate into the same VS.
But, indeed, maybe some hack needed to make it work... Hope this bug will be fixed in next profiler release.
0 Likes

Ah. I misunderstood.  I will file a bug on this item in our internal system.  Meanwhile, as suggested in my previous post, you can use the command line interface to profile your application.

0 Likes

1) with command line run it crashes after very few iterations
2) cvs file header "very" informative one
Method ExecutionOrder GlobalWorkSize GroupWorkSize Time LDSSize DataTransferSize GPRs ScratchRegs FCStacks WriteBuffer WriteBuffer WriteBuffer WriteBuffer WriteBuffer WriteBuffer WriteBuffer WriteBuffer WriteBuffer WriteBuffer WriteBuffer WriteBuffer

These WriteBuffer columns with different values just wonderful approach to hardware counters naming 😕

EDIT: probably "WriteBuffer" instead of parameter name connected with app crash.
After few attempts I got good header.
0 Likes