cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

HarryH
Journeyman III

Will the platform name change when the ATI brand disappears?

I read that AMD is getting rid of the ATI brand name. Will the OpenCL platform

continue to be named 'ATI Stream' or will that change? It might break existing

applications selecting the platform based on the platform name in a multi-vendor

environment. Selecting by vendor might not be a good idea because no one can

guarantee there will never be a vendor supporting more than one platform.

0 Likes
4 Replies
sir_um
Journeyman III

Yea... I read that too. Lame! Like the article said, I am very proud of the ATI brand, and will be sad to see it go. (Even though I am in the USA not Canada).

http://www.lockergnome.com/theoracle/2010/08/30/ati-brand-will-go-away-in-next-generation-product/comment-page-1/

http://www.tcmagazine.com/tcm/news/misc/30054/amd-saying-buh-bye-ati-brand-next-gen-graphics-cards

But that's a good question. I'm curious as well.

-Chris

0 Likes

Somewhere around SDK 1.4 AMD Stream was renamed to ATI Stream which leads to DLLs renamed from amdcal*.dll to atical*.dll. Obviously all GPGPU programs stops to works. If they'll repeat this renaming but in opposite direction... way too "funny" even for AMD.

0 Likes

why the hell should been platform selecting hardcoded into application? IMHO this should be saved into some config file. and renaming *.dll is not a problem because of ICD.

0 Likes

Originally posted by: nou

why the hell should been platform selecting hardcoded into application? IMHO this should be saved into some config file. and renaming *.dll is not a problem because of ICD.

LoL. Just because it simpler to code. SOmetimes it's more worth than "proper" solution
And another reason:
Well, Ok it will be in config file. Do you have direct access to user host to change that config file? Obviously - no. So you will have to explain users what exactly and where exactly they should change for app starts to work again after driver update. And sometimes complete rebuild and providing new link for download is MUCH simplier than that.
0 Likes