Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

rpsathe
Journeyman III

Unable to analyze compute shader in PerfStudio 2.2

I have the following configuration

win7|x64

Driver version 8.753.0.0

I have a compute shader and followed the instructions on another thread to add the present call to trigger perf studio.

It launches the app and prints following message in the perf studio terminal

Message: Server        : GPU PerfStudio Server - Version V2.2.791.0
Message: Server        : Using Logfile: F:/Users/rpsathe/Downloads/GPUPerfStudio
2.2/Server-x64/pslog.txt
Message: Server        : Succesfully enabled DX Peformance Counters in Driver
Message: Server        :    DX10Server-x64.dll  V2.2.791.0      DX10
Message: Server        :    DX11Server-x64.dll  V2.2.791.0      DX11
Message: Server        :    DX9Server-x64.dll   V2.2.791.0      DX9
Message: Server        :    GLServer-x64.dll    V2.2.791.0      OpenGL

Message: Server        : About to launch: F:\dev\rpsathe_SC-Offset-04w\AVC\work_
branches\ART\users\rpsathe\ComputeShaderSort11\x64\Debug\ComputeShaderSort11.exe

Message: Server        :   1: 127.0.0.1  - /7440/DX11/ShowStack

but it then waits there for a while and then reports an error saying

"ConnectionManager The operation has timed out

Check to see if the application is running."

I get the same error message without these two lines of code too.

IDXGISwapChain* chain = DXUTGetDXGISwapChain();

chain->Present(0,0);

0 Likes
2 Replies
Byron
Staff

ComputeShaderSort11.exe is a DX11 compute shader example that does a computation once then exits.

It has no render loop and will not work with PerfStudio.

You will have to add a loop to the application so that it does the computation and calls present within each loop. PerfStudio relies on the application running continually so that it can debug and profile the application.

0 Likes

Thanks. When I try to create a Dx11 device wth swap chain, D3D11CreateDeviceAndSwapChain fails.

What should I set my DXGI_SWAP_CHAIN_DESC to ? I am setting DXGI_SWAP_CHAIN_DESC as follows 

void SetSwapChainDesc( DXGI_SWAP_CHAIN_DESC &swapChainDesc ) { ZeroMemory(&swapChainDesc, sizeof(swapChainDesc)); set buffer dimensions and format swapChainDesc.BufferCount = 2; swapChainDesc.BufferDesc.Width = 1; swapChainDesc.BufferDesc.Height = 1; swapChainDesc.BufferUsage = /*DXGI_USAGE_RENDER_TARGET_OUTPUT*/DXGI_USAGE_UNORDERED_ACCESS; swapChainDesc.BufferDesc.Format = /*DXGI_FORMAT_R8G8B8A8_UNORM*/DXGI_FORMAT_UNKNOWN; //set refresh rate swapChainDesc.BufferDesc.RefreshRate.Numerator = 60; swapChainDesc.BufferDesc.RefreshRate.Denominator = 1; //sampling settings swapChainDesc.SampleDesc.Quality = 0; swapChainDesc.SampleDesc.Count = 1; //output window handle swapChainDesc.OutputWindow = NULL; swapChainDesc.Windowed = false; }

0 Likes