Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

d_a_a_
Adept II

HD5970 GPU is currently supported in single-GPU mode only

SDK 2.2

From the ATI Stream SDK v2.2 release notes:

" The ATI Radeon™ HD 5970 GPU is currently supported in single-GPU mode only. It is
recommended users only access the first device on an ATI Radeon™ HD 5970 GPU for GPU compute."

What exactly does this mean? When will this issue be fixed?

I'm planning to buy and plug four HD5970 GPUs in the same motherboard and, of course, I would like to be able to fully use those four devices.

0 Likes
8 Replies
nou
Exemplar

there is issue related with crossfire. if you have two GPU second core is returning garble results if you have crossfire enabled. on 5970 you can not disable crossfire.

but on Linux there is some post that it work correctly.

0 Likes

Originally posted by: nou there is issue related with crossfire. if you have two GPU second core is returning garble results if you have crossfire enabled. on 5970 you can not disable crossfire.

but on Linux there is some post that it work correctly.

Hi, thanks for your reply. I'm using GNU/Linux (Debian). Can someone officialy confirm if I'm able to fully utilize both GPUs from Radeon HD 5970 in GNU/Linux?

0 Likes

That's actually weird as with Catalyst 10.7 second core of 5970 starts to work again. At least it's true for Windows drivers and CAL/IL level. Either there are some problems with OpenCL or this issue wasn't fully resolved by ATI and then general recommendation will be to avoid 5970 completely because you can't be sure is it working at all.

Also, d.a.a., there zero successful reports about systems with more than 4x ATI GPUs (5970 counts as 2x obviously) -- once 5th device added to system ATI drivers cannot handle this situation. Check out forums, this question arises from time to time here.

0 Likes

Originally posted by: empty_knapsackAlso, d.a.a., there zero successful reports about systems with more than 4x ATI GPUs (5970 counts as 2x obviously) -- once 5th device added to system ATI drivers cannot handle this situation. Check out forums, this question arises from time to time here.

So this basically means that ATI is not yet prepared for serious high-performance computing using GPUs? What a shame...

0 Likes

I have a machine at hand with 3 5970 and I have not encountered problems with second devices returning bad results (or at least I have not realized yet, although I have checked a few times).

I was using Catalyst 10.4 and SDK 2.1 with nou's Ubuntu packages on 9.10

Now I upgraded to 2.2 and things don't work, but that's an issue of a different topic which is surely some temporary mess up by me.

If you are really interested in having 4 5970 in one machine, I think you can, although I unadvise anybody to do that with a regular motherboard. We can discuss in PM if you wish.

0 Likes

The 2nd GPU of the HD5970 is still not working with OpenCL with latest CAT v10.7b and SDK v2.2. Neither on Linux nor on Windows 😞

0 Likes

Hi quadboon, thank you for the confirmation. It's sad.

Why ATI can't give us a schedule to fix this serious problem?

0 Likes

How do I configure 2x5970 each in single mode?

0 Likes