ATI 5870 OpenCL problems

Hi,

I'm setting up an OpenCL developement box that has the following configuration:

Fedora 13 Linux

quad core i7 930 CPU

nVidia 9400 GT

nVidia GTX480

ATI HD 5870

So far OpenCL can see both nVidia GPUs and the CPUs, but nothing I do will allow it to see the 5870.

My plan is to use the 9400 as my display GPU and leave the 5970 and the 480 as just compute GPUs.  My goal is to have a nice developement/test box where I can run on and test both ATI and nVidia GPUs, old and new GPUs, etc.  I did a search in the forum about this and it looks like that at this time it is not possible to have this configuration.  I have installed the latest drivers, etc.  Is this something that will be fixed soon?  Or is there a work around?  Non of the solutions I have found work for my setup.  Thanks,

Grimm

0 Likes
4 Replies
Grimm
Journeyman III

Well this has been an adventure, but I got it working.  With OpenCL 1.1 no less. 

I had to reorder my cards in the computer and put the 5870 in the first slot.  I installed the OpenCL 1.1 version of the the ATI driver and got X to run on it for my main display. 

Next I installed the development version of the nVidia driver (also to get version 1.1 of the OpenCL) and made sure that it didn't update the opengl or xorg.conf stuff.  At this point I was not able to get X up, the nVidia installer had probably over-written something.   So I installed the ATI driver again and was able to boot and bring X back up.

To get the nVidia cards working I have to run this script I found on the net that installs the driver and builds the nVidia devices in the /dev directory. 

#!/bin/bash

PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/cuda/bin

modprobe nvidia

if [ "$?" -eq 0 ]; then

# Count the number of NVIDIA controllers found.
N3D=`lspci | grep -i NVIDIA | grep "3D controller" | wc -l`
NVGA=`lspci | grep -i NVIDIA | grep "VGA compatible controller" | wc -l`

N=`expr $N3D + $NVGA - 1`
for i in `seq 0 $N`; do
mknod -m 666 /dev/nvidia$i c 195 $i;
done

mknod -m 666 /dev/nvidiactl c 195 255

else
exit 1
fi

Presto - magic, now when I run CLInfo I can see all of the devices on the system.  Yay!    The only problem I'm having is that it appears that the ATI drivers do not fully support the newer kernel that Fedora 13 uses.  I'm getting a whole bunch of GART, etc errors on booting the computer.  It doesn't appear to effect the system once it comes up, it just takes a loooong time for it to time out and continue.  Now I can start having some OpenCL fun.

Grimm

0 Likes

Well, I thought that it was working well, no such luck.   I had to swap the cards again and put the nvidia GTX480 in the primary pci slot and run my monitors off of it.  The ATI driver (10.7b) was too unstable and broke too many things.   The good thing is that with the cards in this current configuration, they haven't been over heating like they were before.

Is there any way to run a ATI card headless (HD 5870 in this case)?  I have no need or desire to attach a monitor to it, I just need it to run and test opencl code.   That and I want all of the on board memory for my programs to use, no sharing.    Thanks,

Grimm

0 Likes

I too have a HD 5870 and GTX 480. They both work at the same time. I posted what I had to do in this thread. My configuration is a bit different from yours in that my GPU host is headless. I ssh into it and work remotely.

http://devforums.amd.com/devforum/messageview.cfm?catid=328&threadid=117913&highlight_key=y

One thing I've noticed is that both the ATI and NVIDIA runtimes can see all GPUs on the system. Just pointing that out as it is easy to make a mistake and run an ATI binary against the NVIDIA card or vice-versa. I've made that mistake a few times.

Also, I was long time Fedora user but have switched to Ubuntu as both ATI and NVIDIA explicitly support it. I know for sure that the latest public ATI and NVIDIA OpenCL SDKs and drivers run on Ubuntu 9.10 ok. It just makes your life a lot easier to pick a known compatible OS release.

0 Likes

Thanks cjang, 

I did see your thread but it is just not going to work with my setup as my system is the one I do all my work on as well.  And now that I know that the cards cool better in this configuration, I'm not too keen on changing things around.

I have used Ubuntu as well, unfortunately most of the software I use is RPM based and I tried Alien but it didn't work to well.   That was a couple of years ago, maybe it would work better now? 

It's looking more and more that I will just have to wait until they fix the driver before I can use the card. 

Grimm

0 Likes