cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

mux85
Journeyman III

problem with 3-component vector

Hi, I'm developing an opencl image progessing application.

With opencl 1.0 i was passing the image to my kernel as an array of byte (host-side) and using it inside the kernel as an array of structure defined by me (3 uchar elements).

Now i've update to stream sdk 2.2 and i wanted to use one of the new opencl 1.1 features, a 3-component vector type. i relplaced my structure with uchar3. now the entire program crashes.

i think that it might depend on the fact that uchar3 is memorized as 4 bytes. in the array i pass to the kernel every 3 bytes represent a pixel (rgb) and so i think the 1 byte in 4 is "lost" in the 4-th byte of the uchar3. the crash is probably causad by the fact that after a certain number of pixels the program access some memory it shouldn't (it reads 4 bytes for every pixel insted of 3 so it goes out of the array boundaries at some point).

is there a way to solve this problem? is it better to go back to my 3 byte structure (performance-wise)?

0 Likes
4 Replies
genaganna
Journeyman III

Originally posted by: mux85is there a way to solve this problem? is it better to go back to my 3 byte structure (performance-wise)?

You need to arrange the data as per the requirement.  I can say one adventage of using 3-component vector is you can use almost all operators and functions similar to other vectors.

0 Likes

so i should put a filler byte every 3 bytes? that's what you are suggesting?

couldn't i use vload3 function instead? which impact on performance will i get if use vload3 for every access insteas of using the array normally (with [])?

thanks

0 Likes

Originally posted by: mux85 so i should put a filler byte every 3 bytes? that's what you are suggesting?

Yes that is what i am suggesting.

couldn't i use vload3 function instead? which impact on performance will i get if use vload3 for every access insteas of using the array normally (with [])?

performance will be improved if you use vload3.  Performance of vload3 and vload4 is same becasue both access 4- component aligned address.

0 Likes

mux85,
If you care about performance, do not use vec3. They are there for convenience, not performance.
0 Likes