Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

notyou
Adept III

Problem with cl_amd_printf

Hello,

Since moving to SDK 2.1, I've noticed that printf no longer works. From searching, it seems that plain old printf is no longer supported and that cl_amd_printf has been commissioned to replace it. The issue I'm having is that when I try to use it, the OpenCL program compiles but comes back with the warning, unrecognized extension and nothing prints.

I've tried adding "#pragma OPENCL EXTENSION cl_amd_printf : enable" to both my .cl and main.cpp files and neither helps.

Is there any documentation on this extension because I couldn't seem to find any? Are there any restrictions as to format (provided it is different than the standard printf)? I should also note that I've been running the code on an Intel CPU, if it makes a difference.

Because of this, I've had to revert back to 2.01 for debugging, which is a lot of trouble for such a small change.

-Matt

0 Likes
5 Replies
genaganna
Journeyman III

Originally posted by: notyou Hello,

Since moving to SDK 2.1, I've noticed that printf no longer works. From searching, it seems that plain old printf is no longer supported and that cl_amd_printf has been commissioned to replace it. The issue I'm having is that when I try to use it, the OpenCL program compiles but comes back with the warning, unrecognized extension and nothing prints.

I've tried adding "#pragma OPENCL EXTENSION cl_amd_printf : enable" to both my .cl and main.cpp files and neither helps.

Is there any documentation on this extension because I couldn't seem to find any? Are there any restrictions as to format (provided it is different than the standard printf)? I should also note that I've been running the code on an Intel CPU, if it makes a difference.

Because of this, I've had to revert back to 2.01 for debugging, which is a lot of trouble for such a small change.

-Matt

As we know printf should work without any issue. Please post your code here.

0 Likes

Here's my code.

Without the #pragma declared, I get the error: function "printf" declared implicitly. Which makes sense if 2.1 removed printf from the supported features, replacing it with cl_amd_printf.

With the #pragma declared in the main file, I get the same error. Also, the compiler detects it as an unknown pragma.

Now, with the #pragma inside the OpenCL file, I get the warning: ignore unrecognized OpenCL extension at which point it throws an access violation because of this.

I think I realize what I didn't do. I didn't include any file containing this declaration. Do I need to include one or is this handled at a lower level? If so, do you know the location of it because I can't seem to find it?

OpenCL: #pragma OPENCL EXTENSION cl_amd_printf : enable __kernel void knapsack(__global int *gpu_subset, __global int *weight, __global int *profit, int i, int NUM_COLS) { int local_id = get_local_id(0); printf("%i >= %i && (%i + %i) > %i\n", local_id, weight[i-1], gpu_subset[local_id - weight[i-1]], profit[i-1], gpu_subset[local_id]); if(local_id >= weight[i - 1] && (gpu_subset[local_id - weight[i - 1]] + profit[i - 1]) > gpu_subset[local_id]) { gpu_subset[NUM_COLS + local_id] = (gpu_subset[local_id - weight[i - 1]] + profit[i - 1]); printf("1%i NUM_COLS: %i + local_id: %i, gpu_subset[NUM_COLS + local_id]%i = \n", i, NUM_COLS, local_id, gpu_subset[NUM_COLS + local_id]); printf("gpu_subset[local_id - weight[i-1]]%i + profit[i-1]%i\n", gpu_subset[local_id - weight[i-1]], profit[i-1]); } else { gpu_subset[NUM_COLS + local_id] = gpu_subset[local_id]; printf("2%i NUM_COLS: %i + local_id: %i, gpu_subset[NUM_COLS + local_id]%i = \n", i, NUM_COLS, local_id, gpu_subset[NUM_COLS + local_id]); printf("gpu_subset[local_id]: %i\n", gpu_subset[local_id]); } }

0 Likes

notyou,

Please check the supported extensions with clGetDeviceInfo API call, CLInfo sample will also list the supported extensions. If the extension is listed, it should work.

0 Likes

Sorry for the late reply, cl_amd_printf is returned in the list of extensions when I query clGetDeviceInfo(...), but printf still doesn't work.

This was tested on an Intel i7-720QM and before this, I was using a Celeron E3200 and a C2D E8400 (though I did not check to see if cl_amd_printf was supported on either of these last two, but I assume it is).

In case it was missed in my last post, is there any file I need to include from the SDK in order to use this extension, or is this handled at a lower level?

0 Likes

Bump. Anyone have any ideas as to why cl_amd_printf isn't a recognized extension?

0 Likes