cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

jski
Journeyman III

OpenCL on non-AMD box?

Until I get a new machine I have a Dell notebook running WinXP with a NVIDIA Quadro FX 2700M (G94) and an Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU (T9550  @ 2.66GHz).  

I downloaded ati-stream-sdk-v2.1-xp64.exe and installed it, plus added the obligatory environment variables.

I brought up the Stream KernelAnalyzer and tried entering the "Hello World" kernel, only to get: "OpenCL.dll is not loaded.  Have you installed the ATI Stream SDK v2.01 (or newer)?"  I selected: Object Code Format: X86 Assembly.  Didn't help.

Till I get an AMD CPU + ATI GPU box, can I use the notebook described above?

Thanks,

---John

0 Likes
8 Replies
salehqt
Journeyman III

I think you should download NVIDIA CUDA library instead. CUDA library also includes OpenCL support.

0 Likes

If you want to drive your cpus, I'm pretty sure AMD's should be able to do it, but don't quote me on that

EDIT:

Originally posted by: omkaranathan in http://forums.amd.com/devforum/messageview.cfm?catid=390&threadid=126646

Stream Sdk supports all CPU devices with X86 CPU w/ SSE 3.x or later.

However, to drive a Quadro you *must* have NVIDIA's cuda/opencl

0 Likes
jski
Journeyman III

I couldn't care less about using the nVidia GPU - such as it is !!!

Can't I simply use the X86 CPU (Intel's)???

---John

0 Likes

John,
We only provide support or guarantee our SDK to work when an AMD product exists in the machine that the SDK is installed on.
0 Likes
tangjinchuan
Adept I

I compiled a my opencl file with stream sdk's in an intel platform without an opencl available videos card(for mine is ati hd 2600xt) with CL_DEVICE_TYPE_CPU,eveything's fine.And then recompile the file with CL_DEVICE_TYPE_GPU then execute the file on an geforce 9600xt platform, it's ok(and faster 7times than intel cpu for this program)(may require opencl.dll,you can download this file from nvidia or use the opencl.dll file which contains in amd stream sdk directory,copy the opencl.dll into your program file directory,it's ok! So amd/ati give us a broad space to explore the opencl's magic.After this I bought a new computer with althon II 250/790Gx for my family.And waiting to buy a new ati  hd5XXX series card to replace my 2600(Now it's very expensive for me,I just a college student.) I love amd&ati!I hope this might be useful for you.

0 Likes

I found the same problem than you, jski.

The problem is that ATI does not include the OpenCL.dll with the Catalyst drivers as NVIDIA does. You need to install the 150Mb x 2 ( x86 + x64 ) SDK to work with ATI cards.

I really hope ATI could change this, because I wrote a plug-in that occupies 32Kb and I need a 150Mb deployment to execute it...

Btw, the SDK seems to lack a silent mode, so the users have to click 50 buttons to install it...

NVIDIA just installs all what's it's needed in their ForceWave drivers so you don't need any other runtimes. I hope ATI could follow this way soon.

On the other hand, the ATI SDK seems to have a llimit on the memory you can allocate for the GPU ( 128Mb max for some cards ), so you'll have to modify two environment variables and pray for that to avoid that strange limitation.

The NVIDIA SDK allows to use all the VRAM available without problems.

Sorry to say but, at this point, I feel that I simply cannot use ATI's OpenCL due to those reasons:

1. ATI must integrate OpenCL in their drivers or, almost, make the deployment much more lightweight, modular and install-friendly.

2. The GPU memory limitation makes impossible to use ATI OpenCL for complex things.

0 Likes

The problem is that ATI does not include the OpenCL.dll with the Catalyst drivers as NVIDIA does. You need to install the 150Mb x 2 ( x86 + x64 ) SDK to work with ATI cards.

You do not need to install both packages. x86 package contains 32 bit libraries and x64 package contains both 32 bit and 64 bit libraries.

I really hope ATI could change this

We are working on this.

John,

Please make sure that there is no installation of Nvidia SDK, which could be causing the conflict. Also, are you able to run the samples? Could you run the CLInfo sample and post the output?

0 Likes

You do not need to install both packages. x86 package contains 32 bit libraries and x64 package contains both 32 bit and 64 bit libraries.

Btw, can the 64 bits version run in XP AND Vista/7 or do I need different versions, one for XP and other for Vista/7? That will double the deployment with the current SDk too...

0 Likes