cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

shkurko_alexander
Journeyman III

Two GPU problem

I'm using ASUS P5K motherboard with two PCIE slots (one PCIE  x16 and second PCIE x4). There are HD 5770 at first port and HD 5570 at second.

Unfortunately I can use only one GPU (HD 5770) from my OpenCL program.

What is the reason of such dehaviour?

Is it possible to use 2 GPU in such system?

Thanks

0 Likes
12 Replies
nou
Exemplar

yes it should be possible. what is you OS?

0 Likes

I'm using Windows 7.

At "Catalyst Control Center/Inormation Center/Graphics Hardware" HD 5770 is Primary Adapter and HD 5570 is Disabled Adapter.

What can't I do?

Thanks

0 Likes

i think you must have connected monitor to second card.

0 Likes

I connected monitor to second card. After that my program found only second card and first card disappeared from "Catalyst Control Center/Inormation Center/Graphics Hardware" and Device Manager.

Any ideas how to solve this problem?

Thanks

0 Likes

On linux there are ways of tricking AMD cards into driving X windowing systems without monitors attached, you just have to access them once (per boot) via VNC to log in.

However, I haven't touched a windoze (oops ) system in a while, perhaps someone with a better knowledge of windoze can point you in the direction of the equivalent procedure?

With any luck the X / Monitor requirement will be removed in a future release, but that depends on CAL...

0 Likes

On windows all graphic cards need to be connected to a monitor(for example, I have one graphic device connected via VGA cable, another device connected via DVI cable, and a third device via HDMI cable to same monitor).
On linux, you just have to have the graphics card enabled in your xorg.conf file. Usually aticonfig --initial --adapter=all should do it.
0 Likes

Originally posted by: MicahVillmowOn linux, you just have to have the graphics card enabled in your xorg.conf file. Usually aticonfig --initial --adapter=all should do it.

But you still have to do a ton of work to get zero monitors

0 Likes

well in linux i sucesefully start my PC without monitor. it just need that X server is running and it is logged in as some user.

0 Likes

I connected both cards to monitor(first via HDMI, second via VGA). Now my programm uses both cards and in Catalyst Control Center both cards are enabled.

Thanks everybody for the help.

Now I have one more question.

I'm going to build cluster from several PC (about 10 computers) with multiple GPU each.

I want to plug monitor only to one PC and manage other via VNC.

I think it's waste of money and space to buy monitor for every PC.

Is there any solution for such situation?

PS. I can't use Linux, because all software is for Windows.

0 Likes

google dummy vga dongle.

0 Likes

I've made dummy vga dongle. Now everything works fine.

Thanks a lot.

0 Likes

Originally posted by: shkurko_alexander

PS. I can't use Linux, because all software is for Windows.

I hope I'm reading that as "...all software [I will be developing] is for Windows."

And yes, a dummy dongle will sidestep your problem and let you work, but it's rather like draining a dam because there's a hole in it, rather than just fixing the hole...

0 Likes