Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

psath
Journeyman III

*RESOLVED* CAL and OpenCL on headless server with Radeon 5870

Hi,

I'm developing a bit of OpenCL software and would like to optimize my software for both the GeForce 480 and Radeon 5870. I'd also like to generate accurate performance comparisons between the two versions. To that effect I'd like both cards to be able to operate without having to "drive" a monitor (or any calculation other than mine for that matter).

I've already managed this with the GeForce, executing OpenCL software over ssh. But I just got my new Radeon and have spent the last few days trying to figure out how to do the equivalent.

Before I get ahead of myself, it's worth mentioning I'm running Fedora 12 64bit with Catalyst 10.5 drivers.

I've gotten the Stream SDK installed, compiled and all that jazz. Things work smoothly when I've got my monitor hooked up to the Radeon; CLInfo returns both my CPU and GPU devices and FindNumDevices returns 1. However, if I drive the monitor from the nVidia graphics card, both programs fail to recognize the Radeon card. Also, if I try to run either remotely via ssh, neither finds the Radeon (this, or something similar is my eventual goal).

I know that CAL requires a running X server to function properly. I've tried spoofing it with Xvfb, using Xvnc, and managed to get Xorg running (somehow) without an attached monitor. But still, no luck identifying the Radeon card without having a monitor attached to it.

I've tried the "Running ATI Stream Apps Remotely" tips and I've even tried removing all nVidia drivers and hardware from the machine to no avail. I'm out of ideas. Is true (without a spoof dongle, etc.) headless remote execution of CAL/OpenCL code even possible?

Thanks!

0 Likes
3 Replies
nou
Exemplar

did you try set export DISPLAY=:0 in ssh?

0 Likes
psath
Journeyman III

Yep, no dice.

The only time xdpyinfo responds with anything is when DISPLAY=localhost:10.0 (it seems to default to that for ssh -X or ssh -Y).

This is the Xorg command that shows up with ps

/usr/bin/Xorg :0 -nr -verbose -auth /var/run/gdm/auth-for-gdm-gGzbGV/database -nolisten tcp vt1

so for all appearances, access control isn't being disabled, even though I followed the instructions for doing so. probably due to a failure of gdm-restart.

[root@radeonforce ~]# gdm-restart
Not supported

0 Likes

*Resolved*

Used the instructions at: http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-279069.html to get VNC access to display :0. Both FindNumDevices and CLInfo behave as they should now.

0 Likes