cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

bubu
Adept II

load texture data preservation

Do you respect 100% the data passed from the host pointer in a clCreateImage2D call? or do you perform some kind of data conversion/filtering when you upload the data from the CPU to the GPU?

The format is GL_RGBA and GL_FLOAT.

Sampler uses CLK_NORMALIZED_COORDS_FALSE | CLK_ADDRESS_NONE | CLK_FILTER_NEAREST;

I read a float4 with read_imagef(img,samp,int2). The .xyz are floats and the .w is really an int.

I ask you this because  I have some very sensible data that I need to convert using as_int and seems the data is not correctly preserved when I launch the kernel... Or perhaps your as_int() is bugged?(I can't find a call to as_int() in your examples to test). Or perhaps the endianness is affecting my data ( but I upload the data from an Intel CPU to the GPU via clCreateImage2D-hostPtr ...)

I'll put a code example so you can understand my question better:

Host code:

cl_float4 data;

data.s[0] = 1.0f;

data.s[1] = 2.0f;

data.s[2] = 3.0f;

int i = -4;

data.s[3] = *((float*)&i);

.... then I create a 1x1 image:

cl_image_format l_sImageFmt;
l_sImageFmt.image_channel_data_type = CL_FLOAT;
l_sImageFmt.image_channel_order = CL_RGBA;

img = clCreateImage2D ( ctx, CL_MEM_READ_ONLY|CL_MEM_COPY_HOST_PTR, &l_sImageFmt,
                1, 1, sizeof(cl_float4), &data, NULL );

GPU Kernel:

__constant sampler_t imgSamplerInt2 = CLK_NORMALIZED_COORDS_FALSE | CLK_ADDRESS_NONE | CLK_FILTER_NEAREST;

const float4 data = read_imagef ( img, imgSamplerInt2, (int2)(0,0) );

const int i = as_int(data.w); //i should be -4, right? Well, it is NOT! (it's thrash )

And btw... as_int() is much faster than a normal int cast if I have the data properly formatted, isn't it?

0 Likes
8 Replies
nou
Exemplar

you must take other way and read from texture as int and cinvert it into float. because small int will be flushed to zero as it is subnormal floats.

0 Likes

So the float4 values are not respected when the texture is uploaded? why!!!! ????

0 Likes

http://forums.amd.com/devforum/messageview.cfm?catid=390&threadid=133069&enterthread=y

0 Likes

Bubu,
Nou answered your question, 'small int will be flushed to zero as it is subnormal floats'. If you want unmodified values, read them as unsigned integers.
0 Likes

Originally posted by: MicahVillmow If you want unmodified values, read them as unsigned integers.

What "read them as unsigned integers" means, pls?

Can you modify the code I posted reflecting that, pls?

thx

0 Likes

instead of using the function read_imagef, just use read_imageui and change the image_data_type to CL_UNSIGNED_INT32. Then after you read the data, convert to float with as_float.
0 Likes

Originally posted by: MicahVillmow instead of using the function read_imagef, just use read_imageui and change the image_data_type to CL_UNSIGNED_INT32. Then after you read the data, convert to float with as_float.

Ok I understand now.

Btw, do you think that would be faster than type casting?

0 Likes

bubu,
Please reference section 6.2.4 of the OpenCL spec on type casting in OpenCL.
0 Likes