cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

bubu
Adept II

CUDA-like occupancy.xls

Do you have an Excel sheet or tool to compute the occupancy for ATI cards ( placing things like the # registers used by the kernel, local memory used, etc...???

thx

0 Likes
4 Replies
eduardoschardong
Journeyman III

There are tools like Stream Kernel Analyzer and Stream profiler, I don't think you should really care about unless a kernel is performing much worse than expected, register pressure for AMD GPUs is a much smaller issue than for nVidia GPUs.

0 Likes

Nevertheless, a simple excel spreadsheet or something similar should require minimal effort.

0 Likes

Originally posted by: eduardoschardong There are tools like Stream Kernel Analyzer and Stream profiler, I don't think you should really care about unless a kernel is performing much worse than expected, register pressure for AMD GPUs is a much smaller issue than for nVidia GPUs.

Yep, I love the Stream analyzer... but I don't think it can tell you the optimal grid and workgroup sizes and neither the number of active wavefronts knowing how many registers and local memory are you using.

I really prefer a XLS file where you can just enter the

0. The card you're using.

1. Number of registers your kernel is using.

2. How many local memory you use for each work group/thread.

3. Your grid size

and see all the possible combinations to get the most optimal workgroup/grid size in a graph.

0 Likes

Btw, I'm not sure is OpenOffice can open XLS files!

0 Likes