vector subscript

Is there any way to do this, pls?

float4 v = float4(0.0f,1.0f,2.0f,3.0f);

const int idx = 2;

v[idx] += 1.0f;

???

0 Likes
14 Replies

You need to cast the scalar to a vector first.
So your code should look like this.
v[idx] += (float4)(1.0f);

0 Likes
malcolm3141
Journeyman III

No there isn't a way to do that.

However:

float v[4];

will work, and

float4 v;

if(idx == 0)    v.s0 += 1.0f;

if(idx == 1)    v.s1 += 1.0f;

if(idx == 2)    v.s2 += 1.0f;

if(idx == 3)    v.s3 += 1.0f;

will also work (and will likely be quite fast due to predication).

Malcolm

0 Likes

I do this currently:

float4 v = (float4)(1.0f,2.0f,3.0f,4.0f};

float scl = ((float*)&v)[idx];

0 Likes

If idx is really a constant, as you wrote, then Malcolm's solution reduces to

v.s2 += 1.0;

which can also be written

v.z += 1.0 ;

0 Likes

Originally posted by: drstrip If idx is really a constant, as you wrote, then Malcolm's solution reduces to

v.s2 += 1.0;

which can also be written

v.z += 1.0 ;

Unfrotunately is not contant. It's like

for ( j=0; j<myvar; ++j )

{

float k = var [ j ]

}

0 Likes
Illusio
Journeyman III

Any of these methods acceptable?

---------------- Table lookup: ---------------- float4 addOneTable[] = { float4(0.0f,0.0f,0.0f,1.0f), float4(0.0f,0.0f,1.0f,0.0f), float4(0.0f,1.0f,0.0f,0.0f), float4(1.0f,0.0f,0.0f,0.0f), }; v += addOneTable[idx]; ------------------------- Vectorized test on idx ------------------------- int4 indices = int4(0,1,2,3); // isequal returns all bits set(-1) in the location that matches idx, so subtract instead of adding v -= convert_float4( isequal( int4(idx), indices ) );

0 Likes

Yep, I could do it using a trick... but the point is that vector subscript should be supported directly... after all, you support swizzling and things like .s0123456789abcdef , so why not v[idx] ( where idx is not a constant ) ?

0 Likes

Exactly because it's not a constant...

float4 is a structure, not an array, but OpenCL allows for the pointer casting like you did in third reply as also:

float va[4];

*(float4)va = (float4)(1, 2, 3, 4);

0 Likes

Originally posted by: eduardoschardong Exactly because it's not a constant...

Yep, but the point is: if that's possible to do... why I must write a function to cast pointers manually? Why they don't simple add a simple feature to the OpenCL compiler to support vector subscripts? Pls, add that to the CL 1.1 spec !

0 Likes

bubu,
Vector subscripts are not supported because at the hardware level, you cannot index into a vector. Vector's are not arrays, they are native data types of vector machines/units. Just like you cannot index into an integer because it is a fundamental data type, you cannot index into a vector for the same reason. You can write a function to do indexing into a vector, but it is a O(N^2) function on the length of the vector. Something like this:
void vec_index4(Vec A, int idx, Scalar B) {
if (idx == 0) {
A.x = B
} else if (idx == 1) {
A.y = B;
} else if ... {
} else {
A.last element = B;
}
}

Not very efficient, and definitely not the kind of code you want to generate.
0 Likes

Originally posted by: MicahVillmow bubu, Vector subscripts are not supported because at the hardware level, you cannot index into a vector

And how is this operation done then in hardware?

float4 val = (float4) ( 1.0f, 2.0f, 3.0f, 4.0f );

float three = *((float*)&val[ j ]); /* j is not constant, for example is read from a texture */

using private memory?

0 Likes

In this case, the vector is pushed onto the stack, and then the scalar value is read back from memory.
0 Likes

To the best of my knowledge subscripts on vector data types is not compliant OpenCL. The AMD implementation allowed it, although I believe that is changing (haven't tried lately).

Remember there is a big difference between a constant index and a dynamic index. With regard to constant memory, and often other cases on AMD hardware, a dynamic index usually means it has to do really slow tricks such as Micah mentioned.

Ironically, the vec_index4() function Micah illustrated is usually the fastest way to do dynamic indexing of a vector. In your specific case the second trick given by Illusio may be faster, but it is not general.

My advice is don't be afraid of simple branches, so long as you check the shader analyser and confirm the compiler is using predication for them (they'll turn into CMOV... instructions). I have not had issues convincing the compiler to use predication in these cases.

Malcolm

0 Likes

Ironically, the vec_index4() function Micah illustrated is usually the fastest way to do dynamic indexing of a vector. In your specific case the second trick given by Illusio may be faster, but it is not general.

And the *(float*)&v what position will take? It's performing very well for me atm...

0 Likes