Archives Discussions

fulcrum_xyz
Journeyman III

2 ati cards on OpenSUSE 11.2

Hi

I have two ati cards - radeon 2200 HD and radeon 5870 HD

I want to configure both these cards on OpenSUSE 11.2 x64 box

with 2400HD for display

and the 5870 for the OpenCL compute only...

tried out the straightforward way of plugging in the two cards and installing the drivers - didn't work

the seconds card - 5870 hd is not recognized..

am i missing something ?

thanks.

0 Likes
20 Replies
dominik_g
Journeyman III

Did you use aticonfig to set up the graphics cards?

Type 'aticonfig --lsa' to list all installed graphics cards. If all cards are listed, type 'aticonfig --adapter=all --initial -f'. This will make sure that drivers for all cards will be loaded the next time you start X.

I had some problems using Gnome as a normal user (not root) after this, however (maybe because I was trying to use multiple GPUs but only one of them has a monitor connected). I solved this problem by using xterm instead of Gnome.

0 Likes

hey thanks dominik_g

yeah aticonfig --lsa lists both

2400 HD

5870 HD

But, when i run the stream SDK samples if fails with

CL_DEVICE_NOT_FOUND ??

and i am not able to see both the cards in amdccle (catalyst conrol center)

0 Likes

I guess the SDK fails because only the driver for the 2400 HD is loaded and this card is not supported by the SDK, right?

I'm surprised that amdcccle only shows one of the cards. Have you tried 'aticonfig --adapter=all --initial -f'?

If it fails you can always undo it by typing 'aticonfig --initial -f' (You may have to boot in single-user mode)

0 Likes

yeah 2400 HD is not supported by the SDK

so the CLInfo show only the CPU

i did aticonfig --adapter=all --initial -f, even with that 5870 doesn;t show up in amdcccle

but with aticonfig --lsa

both cards are listed with 2400 HD marked as the default...

is that a problem in anyway ?

0 Likes

Originally posted by: fulcrum_xyzboth cards are listed with 2400 HD marked as the default...

is that a problem in anyway ?

That sounds fine. It recognizes both cards and te 2400 HD is used for output.

Can you print the contents of your xorg.conf ('cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf'). How many screens are listed in the ServerLayout section?

0 Likes

I should be having only one, right ?

i have a single display

here is the xorg.conf

Section "ServerLayout" Identifier "Layout0" Screen 0 "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0" 0 0 InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard" InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer" EndSection Section "Files" EndSection Section "Module" EndSection Section "InputDevice" # generated from default Identifier "Mouse0" Driver "mouse" Option "Protocol" "auto" Option "Device" "/dev/psaux" Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no" Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5" EndSection Section "InputDevice" # generated from default Identifier "Keyboard0" Driver "kbd" EndSection Section "Monitor" Identifier "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0" Option "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver" Option "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor" Option "DPMS" "true" EndSection Section "Device" Identifier "aticonfig-Device[0]-0" Driver "fglrx" BusID "PCI:15:0:0" EndSection Section "Screen" Identifier "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0" Device "aticonfig-Device[0]-0" Monitor "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0" DefaultDepth 24 SubSection "Display" Viewport 0 0 Depth 24 EndSubSection EndSection

0 Likes

Well, you only have a single display, but I think you have to pretend to have multiple displays if you want to use multiple GPUs. Normally 'aticonfig --adapter=all --initial -f' creates a new xorg.conf with one screen for each GPU...

What is the output of 'aticonfig --adapter=all --initial -f'?

0 Likes

so do i have to configure the GPUs with multiple head displays ?

below is the output of  "aticonfig --adapters=all --initial -f"

Using /etc/X11/xorg.conf Saved back-up to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.fglrx-15

0 Likes

fulcrum_xyz,

Did you try running the CAL samples? 'FindNumDevices' sample will tell you if both the devices are being detected properly. 

Also, do you have a monitor attached to the second card? If not, could you try that way too?

0 Likes

Originally posted by: omkaranathan fulcrum_xyz,

Did you try running the CAL samples? 'FindNumDevices' sample will tell you if both the devices are being detected properly. 

Also, do you have a monitor attached to the second card? If not, could you try that way too?

this is the output i get with cal FindNumDevices

Supported CAL Runtime Version: 1.3.185 Found CAL Runtime Version: 1.4.636 Use -? for help CAL initialized. Finding out number of devices :- Device Count = 1 CAL shutdown successful.

0 Likes

i ran 'aticonfig --adapter=0,1 --initial -f'

and this is the xorg.conf i got

but still i get CL_DEVICE_NOT_FOUND with OCL samples ?

Section "ServerLayout" Identifier "Layout0" Screen 0 "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0" 0 0 Screen "aticonfig-Screen[1]-0" RightOf "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0" InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard" InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer" EndSection Section "Files" EndSection Section "Module" EndSection Section "InputDevice" # generated from default Identifier "Mouse0" Driver "mouse" Option "Protocol" "auto" Option "Device" "/dev/psaux" Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no" Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5" EndSection Section "InputDevice" # generated from default Identifier "Keyboard0" Driver "kbd" EndSection Section "Monitor" Identifier "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0" Option "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver" Option "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor" Option "DPMS" "true" EndSection Section "Monitor" Identifier "aticonfig-Monitor[1]-0" Option "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver" Option "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor" Option "DPMS" "true" EndSection Section "Device" Identifier "aticonfig-Device[0]-0" Driver "fglrx" BusID "PCI:66:0:0" EndSection Section "Device" Identifier "aticonfig-Device[1]-0" Driver "fglrx" BusID "PCI:15:0:0" EndSection Section "Screen" Identifier "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0" Device "aticonfig-Device[0]-0" Monitor "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0" DefaultDepth 24 SubSection "Display" Viewport 0 0 Depth 24 EndSubSection EndSection Section "Screen" Identifier "aticonfig-Screen[1]-0" Device "aticonfig-Device[1]-0" Monitor "aticonfig-Monitor[1]-0" DefaultDepth 24 SubSection "Display" Viewport 0 0 Depth 24 EndSubSection EndSection

0 Likes

Originally posted by: fulcrum_xyz

but still i get CL_DEVICE_NOT_FOUND with OCL samples ?

You should try to do an "export DISPLAY=:0.1" or to run the OpenCL application from an xterm opened on the 5870 screen. This may fix your problem.

0 Likes

thanks davibu, export DISPLAY=0:1 works

but only if io am logged in and if I am running init 5 only, not otherwise...

even if with rlogin, it doesn't work if the display hasn't been started up ??

any fix for this....

0 Likes

no Xserver must run as it load driver for VGA card.

0 Likes

Originally posted by: nou no Xserver must run as it load driver for VGA card.

so how would i get this to work, if I login remotely ?

0 Likes

i can run app remotely if i have logged in with running Xserver, then i can log in via SSH export DISPLAY and run OpenCL application. there is some article about this http://developer.amd.com/support/KnowledgeBase/Lists/KnowledgeBase/DispForm.aspx?ID=19

0 Likes

thanks nou,

but this doc seems to be quite out-dated....

0 Likes

I do the following:

I log in locally to make sure that X is running. If I then ssh into my machine (with the same user) I can see all GPUs.

0 Likes

fulcrum_xyz,

Are you facing any issues while trying to run remote applications with the help of the above KB article?

0 Likes

@dominik_g

thats the work-around that I employing right now.... but it is not all that usefull if the machine is not located nearby or easily accesible....

@omkarnathan

Yes, most of the setps described in the solutions do not apply to my sys config..

I use OpenSUSE 11.2 with gnome

and radeon 5870...

0 Likes