cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

kbrafford
Adept II

Can not run OpenCL samples on Core2 Duo system

I am trying to get the v2.1 SDK running on my Thinkpad T60p (windows XP 32 bit).  It has an ATI Mobility FireGL V5250, and the setup for the OpenCL SDK points out that it will not allow GPU contexts, but CPU contexts will work.

But when I try to actually run the samples they don't work.  CLInfo does this:

clinfo

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information.

And all of the other examples fail similarly to this:

nbody
Error: clGetPlatformIDs failed. Error code : unknown error code

I have tried reinstalling the video driver and the SDK and it still fails.  Anyone have any clues?

0 Likes
8 Replies
kbrafford
Adept II

I know I've had a previous version of the Stream SDK/OpenCL beta working on this machine before.  What's the procedure to remove ALL affected components and start over?  I tried uninstalling the Stream SDK and all of its parts, AND going into the device manager and uninstalling the video driver, then reinstalling the latest ATI driver for my laptop from the Lenovo site, then putting down Stream SDK 2.1, and still no dice.

0 Likes
omkaranathan
Adept I

But when I try to actually run the samples they don't work.  CLInfo does this:

clinfo

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information.

Did you run the pre-built binaries came with SDK? or compiled and ran the samples? 

Which version of Visual Studion are you using?

Ensure that there are no leftovers from previous installation. Also make sure that the executable is picking the correct dlls.(You can use a 3rd party app like Depends).

0 Likes

Thanks for the reply!  I have only tried to run the prebuilt exes.  I use Visual Studio 2008 for stuff, but I haven't tried to use it with my Thinkpad + OpenCL yet.  I was hoping that the prebuilt binaries would help me validate my install.

It's picking up Opencl.dll from C:\windows\system32.  If I delete that file, then it works, by finding opencl.dll in C:\program files\ati stream\bin, but reports that it is v2.0.0.  If I erase that file, then reinstall v2.1 of the SDK, the cl programs fail as before.

0 Likes

The correct location for SDK 2.1 dll is C:\windows\system32. Could you delete all the files from "C:\program files\ati stream\" and reinstall the SDK. Also could you try compiling the samples(its fairly straightforward) and let me know what is the behavior?

0 Likes

Ok, I removed ALL ATI products from my system using the control panel thingie, went into Program Files\ and manually removed the ATI Stream directory that was still there, edited the Path variable to remove all ATI references that were still hanging around, and rebooted as a VGA machine.

Then I verified that the ATI stuff was all gone still.

Then I reinstalled the Lenovo ATI driver and rebooted. Now I have my nice high resolution super awesome FireGL V5250 back (yes I know GPU contexts are not supported...I am just trying to get CPU working again).  It is Catalyst Version 2009.0929.1443.24574.

Should I proceed and install the Stream SDK V2.1 again?

0 Likes

You don't require display drivers to run OpenCL on CPU. 

What is the behavior now? Ideally, you should not be having any problems.

If it still doesn't work, try to compile and run the samples.

0 Likes

Awesome...success!  Apparently I had old stuff lying around.  And even though I completely uninstalled everything and manually looked for extra stuff to delete, when the Stream Analyzer installed it still thought it was a "Modify/Repair/Unistall" request.  So I let it "Modify"

And now it works again!  BTW, why don't I get image support?

Number of platforms: 1 Platform Profile: FULL_PROFILE Platform Version: OpenCL 1.0 ATI-Stream-v2.1 (145) Platform Name: ATI Stream Platform Vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Platform Extensions: cl_khr_icd Platform Name: ATI Stream Number of devices: 1 Device Type: CL_DEVICE_TYPE_CPU Device ID: 4098 Max compute units: 2 Max work items dimensions: 3 Max work items[0]: 1024 Max work items[1]: 1024 Max work items[2]: 1024 Max work group size: 1024 Preferred vector width char: 16 Preferred vector width short: 8 Preferred vector width int: 4 Preferred vector width long: 2 Preferred vector width float: 4 Preferred vector width double: 0 Max clock frequency: 2327Mhz Address bits: 32 Max memory allocation: 536870912 Image support: No Max size of kernel argument: 4096 Alignment (bits) of base address: 1024 Minimum alignment (bytes) for any datatype: 128 Single precision floating point capability Denorms: Yes Quiet NaNs: Yes Round to nearest even: Yes Round to zero: No Round to +ve and infinity: No IEEE754-2008 fused multiply-add: No Cache type: Read/Write Cache line size: 0 Cache size: 0 Global memory size: 1073741824 Constant buffer size: 65536 Max number of constant args: 8 Local memory type: Global Local memory size: 32768 Profiling timer resolution: 1 Device endianess: Little Available: Yes Compiler available: Yes Execution capabilities: Execute OpenCL kernels: Yes Execute native function: No Queue properties: Out-of-Order: No Profiling : Yes Platform ID: 00AF946C Name: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU T7600 @ 2.33GHz Vendor: GenuineIntel Driver version: 1.1 Profile: FULL_PROFILE Version: OpenCL 1.0 ATI-Stream-v2.1 (145) Extensions: cl_khr_icd cl_amd_fp64 cl_khr_global_int32_base_atomics cl_khr_global_int32_extended_atomics cl_khr_local_int32_base_atomics cl_khr_local_int32_extended_atomics cl_khr_byte_addressable_store cl_khr_gl_sharing cl_ext_device_fission cl_amd_device_attribute_query cl_amd_printf

0 Likes

Images are not supported on CPU

0 Likes