Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

gsteri1
Journeyman III

Running Stream Apps remotely

Allowing to stream to be run via ssh, headless with no X server running

Hello,

I have looked through a good deal of the forum posts in regard to running the ATI stream apps remotely. Some posters claim that it is possible to run remotely. I have attempted both the official AMD recipe for running remotely, to no avail and the other ones (there is an example for a CentOS box, for example). I am running openSUSE 11.1 on an AMD64 box, with an ATI HD 4850 card.

Is there any possibility of running the examples via ssh without any tricks to the X server? My needs are not gaming, but, rather, scientific computing. I would like to run some jobs batched without necessarily logging into the box via console.

Thank you all!

-Greg

0 Likes
17 Replies

Hi Greg, unfortunately, ultimately CAL still needs to go through the display driver for now and that path is through the X Windows server.

When you disable the security feature of the X server and log in via ssh and set your DISPLAY variable to :0.0, are you able to do an xdpyinfo?

0 Likes

Hi Michael,

I run the xdpyinfo and get:

No protocol specified
xdpyinfo:  unable to open display ":0.0"

-Greg

PS Great job on this stream project and related technologies...

0 Likes

Hi Greg,

Just take make sure it is just the security setting that are getting messed up, try this first...

At the console, log into the X server and then in an xterm or other shell, type "xhost +" to effectively disable security.

Then, without logging out of the X server, ssh into the machine remotely and try xdpyinfo with your DISPLAY set to :0.0

This should work.

Then, try running FindNumDevices in the /usr/local/atical bin directory. That should work as well.

If this all works, we just need to figure out why your X server config file changes didn't take. Which file did you modify and what did you do to it?

0 Likes

Yes, Michael! That did the trick.

I modified my bash.bashrc  file to get the DISPLAY set.

In /etc/gdm/custom.conf, I added:

[servers]
0=ATIStream

[server-ATIStream]
name=ATIStream
command=/usr/bin/Xorg -br -ac -audit 0
flexible=true

I do notice that

[security]
# SuSEconfig: displaymanagerISPLAYMANAGER_ROOT_LOGIN_REMOTE,DISPLAYMANAGER_SHUTDOWN, securityERMISSION_SECURITY
AllowRemoteRoot=false

I wonder if this is/was the culprit?

In my /etc/gdm/Init/Default file I have set:

chmod uog+rw /dev/dri/card*

Thank you very much!

-Greg

0 Likes

Hi Greg,

Yeah, this is the catch about this workaround... different systems have slightly different X Windows setups. Were you sshing as root or as a normal user?

One thing I've done in the past when debugging X Windows setup issues for remote stream app execution was to do a "ps ax | grep X" and look for the "/usr/bin/Xorg -br -ac -audit 0" to make sure that it was being executed instead of the default X server invocation. I've found that what worked on one distro didn't work on another distro.

There is a project going on in parallel to look into get rid of this necessity, but for the time being, this trick is what I use on the machine sitting in my office. 🙂

0 Likes

Hi Michael,

I was ssh-ing in as a regular user and then su to root. Do you think that matters? 

I have checked for the Xorg server's instance using ps ax | grep X, but I never see "/usr/bin/Xorg -br -ac -audit 0"

Thanks,

-Greg

0 Likes

Hmm... it would seem then that the changes you made didn't take. I don't have an openSUSE system setup here (it's not yet an officially setup for ATI Stream SDK v1.4). I'll try to setup an openSUSE machine (probably under VMWare) and fiddle around with the settings. It might take a week or 2 though since I've got to take care of some other things first.

0 Likes

Thank you. That is more than I can ask for. I am very excited to develop to this platform.

0 Likes

Hi Greg, managed to try this with OpenSUSE 11.0 on VMWare...

I modified /etc/gdm/custom.conf with the updates you made. When I kill the X server and it restarted, it didn't have "-ac" in it. But, when I rebooted, I discovered that "-ac" was now in the command line of the X process and when I did an export DISPLAY=:0.0 and ran xdpyinfo, it worked.

Did you reboot? Or I think you can also run gdm-restart to get it to reread the config file.

0 Likes

I did reboot. Will try again and let you know.

-Greg

0 Likes

Originally posted by: michael.chu

There is a project going on in parallel to look into get rid of this necessity, but for the time being, this trick is what I use on the machine sitting in my office. 🙂

Hi Micheel,

can you give any updates about the state of mentioned project?

I would really like to use ATI Stream remotely, but the current way is a PITA, because I actually have to connect a monitor to the card as well, otherwise the system will not boot and I get a BIOS error message next time. This machine is not sitting in my office but in the server room...

Best regards.

0 Likes

Originally posted by: herrmann
Originally posted by: michael.chu

Hi Micheel,

can you give any updates about the state of mentioned project?

I would really like to use ATI Stream remotely, but the current way is a PITA, because I actually have to connect a monitor to the card as well, otherwise the system will not boot and I get a BIOS error message next time. This machine is not sitting in my office but in the server room...

Best regards.

Yes, I also am very interested in this project.  Being able to use the AMD hardware for stream computing on linux without any X or console dependencies would be a markedly powerful solution.  

Think large HPC deployment... the X server / console / attached monitor is a severe limitation.

0 Likes

bump

any news?

Will I really have to buy from the competitor to upgrade our HPC-cluster?!?

0 Likes

bump

any news about an xserver-free solution?

0 Likes

Not yet. You need at-least one monitor.

0 Likes

Originally posted by: omkaranathan Not yet. You need at-least one monitor.

Thank you.

That makes me curious about Tianhe-I, do they use a huge KVM switch or an (experimental) in-house hack (hardware/software)?

0 Likes

you can make dummy dongle to simulate connected monitor.

on linux you do not need any dongle. just running Xserver. i tried it myself. i can boot my machine without any monitor and run OpenCL/CAL app.

0 Likes