Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

llukas11
Journeyman III

Performance Counters

Linux & profiling

Hi,

Is there any other way to get to the performance counters than using ATI Stream Profiler? I'd like to get performance statistics under Linux.

L

0 Likes
8 Replies
omkaranathan
Adept I

You can do profiling using OpenCL API. Refer to OpenCL Spec. Section 5.9

0 Likes

Originally posted by: omkaranathan You can do profiling using OpenCL API. Refer to OpenCL Spec. Section 5.9

Doesn't it measure only run time of kernels/memory transfers?

I'd like to get info from counters like ALUPacking, ALUStalledByLDS etc.

edit:

Counters described in section 4.1 in ATI Stream Programming Guide

0 Likes

Presently there is no way to do this in Linux

0 Likes

Will that change in a forseeable future?

I dont need any graphical tools etc, just plain text ones (hint: I came here from CUDAland and they have profiler for linux) or even exposed API calls to gather info by myself?

If profiler is not available on linux this means that besides linux cluster of GPUs I need to keep at least one Windows machine for development. That compilcates everything a bit

0 Likes

Originally posted by: llukas11

If profiler is not available on linux this means that besides linux cluster of GPUs I need to keep at least one Windows machine for development. That compilcates everything a bit

Same problem here and not only you need Windows machine but you have also to buy a VisualStudio License because the ATI profiler doesn't work the VisualStudio Express (the free version).

0 Likes

Have you tried running the profiler's command line version under windows? I have only really used it that way. The visual studio build runs a command line app unless it's changed recently while I've been doing DirectCompute stuff.

I don't know what the timetable is for linux support, though. I agree it's frustrating. Based on priorities here I would imagine you'll have to wait until 2011 for Linux support in the profiler.

0 Likes

Originally posted by: LeeHowes Have you tried running the profiler's command line version under windows? I have only really used it that way. The visual studio build runs a command line app unless it's changed recently while I've been doing DirectCompute stuff.

Thanks, I will try, I wasn't aware there was a command line version available for Windows.

0 Likes

It's somewhat unofficial at the moment because nobody's written a document for it. If you look through the SDK it should be there (I forget the file name). I think it's the command line version that's run by the visual studio plugin anyway.

0 Likes