Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

eduardoschardong
Journeyman III

Few questions about OpenCL implementation

Hello again, using Radeon HD5700 and HD5800 series:

1) How diferent is rsqrt vs native_sqrt? Precision?

2) Will the max work group size be increased in the future?

3) There is a way to force using dot products and the _PREV instructions?

4) I'm getting too much LDS bank conflicts (100 according to the profler) on a kernel, it does mostly write private-read public on float4 datatype, why exactly the bank conflicts are so high? Workarounds?

5) This had some threads before... What's about more than 4 GPUs in a system?

0 Likes
8 Replies
nou
Exemplar

1. yes. native_* function can use special HW instruction. for example normal cos() is in ISA code have around 60 instructions. native_cos() only one.

2. maybe, there is problem with insuficient resources (mainly registers) if you increase group work size

5. it should work. there is some issue with 5970.

0 Likes
Fr4nz
Journeyman III

Originally posted by: eduardoschardong Hello again, using Radeon HD5700 and HD5800 series:

4) I'm getting too much LDS bank conflicts (100 according to the profler) on a kernel, it does mostly write private-read public on float4 datatype, why exactly the bank conflicts are so high? Workarounds?

Could you show us your kernel code (at least the part regarding these LDS conflicts)?

0 Likes

Originally posted by: Fr4nz
Originally posted by: eduardoschardong Hello again, using Radeon HD5700 and HD5800 series:

Could you show us your kernel code (at least the part regarding these LDS conflicts)?

There is a problem with the LDS bank conflict's performance counter: the value it reports is several times higher than the actual value.  The next release of the profiler will fix this problem.

0 Likes

Originally posted by: bpurnomoThere is a problem with the LDS bank conflict's performance counter: the value it reports is several times higher than the actual value.  The next release of the profiler will fix this problem.

bpurnomo,

do you plan to release a linux OpenCL profiler in the future?

0 Likes

Yes.  Supporting linux is in our plan but it is not in our current short-term roadmap.

0 Likes

I admire the valuable information you offer in your articles. I will bookmark your blog and have my children check up here often. I am quite sure they will learn lots of new stuff here than anybody else!

audio conference

0 Likes

Originally posted by: nou 1. yes. native_* function can use special HW instruction. for example normal cos() is in ISA code have around 60 instructions. native_cos() only one.

O noted this, in my case the normal rsqrt() is just too slow, I saw the extra instructions with many CMOVs so I thing it's mostly about denormals and special cases, but I didn't find anywhere documented how exactly the native_rsqrt behaves.

Originally posted by: bpurnomo

There is a problem with the LDS bank conflict's performance counter: the value it reports is several times higher than the actual value.  The next release of the profiler will fix this problem.

Thank you, what about the others?

0 Likes

I had a similar question about sin/cos vs. native_sin/native_cos.

The blog entry here http://sn.im/z44cy (or look at the June 21 entry for www.bigNcomputing.org ) has some code that you may find useful as a starting point to do your own tests for rsqrt and native_rsqrt.

0 Likes