cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

ivalylo
Journeyman III

5970 2GB = 20 computer units and 256MB memory?

This is what OpenCL reports - only one GPU device with 20 computer units. AFAIK, 5870 is with 20 computer units, so it seems that one of the cores do not work properly under OpenCL. Is there known issues with 5970? May be I must disable the crossfire somehow? Please help!

0 Likes
7 Replies
nou
Exemplar

try export DISPLAY=:0 to get both cores visible.you should run "sudo aticonfig --adapter=all --initial" to configure both cores.

for increase visible memory you can export this variables. but it is undocumented and experimental. for my 1GB 5850 maximum which do not crash is 700

export GPU_INITIAL_HEAP_SIZE=512
export GPU_MAX_ALLOC_SIZE=512
export GPU_MAX_HEAP_SIZE=512

0 Likes

10x, I will try this on Linux, but I'm currently trying to make it run on Windows 7 (forgot to mention). I had some problems with driver installation (suspect that too), but the card now seems to work in the games...

0 Likes

At last, I found the problem. It was caused by the official 10.3 drivers (I test with Asus 5970). The second chip do not work with these drivers for me (even in games). Then installed the drivers from Asus, and the crossfire is now working normally and OpenCL gives me 2 GPU devices. But their driver do not work with the stream sdk well (2.0.1). My project can't compile at all, giving me unreadable error messages. SmallluxGPU gives artifacts. I think I can just wait Asus to release new drivers ... Didn't know that this card would not work with the official ones ...

0 Likes

I installed the 10.3 drivers over asus drivers, and it worked... But OpenCL is still not working properly. It seems that this is related to the crossfire that is now working. If I use only one OpenCL device, everything works. Still the problem may be the "driver hell" after so many drivers, and the only way to be sure is reinstalling windows... Does anyone have working 5970 under windows 7 64 bit?

0 Likes

now that you mentioned. there is known issuse if you use 5970 for OpenCL. second core return wrong results. try disable crossfire with two 5870 it help.

0 Likes
davibu
Journeyman III

I have never been able to get ATI OpenCL work with Crossfire. I have to physically remove the connection between cards in order to get correct results (disabling Crossfire via software isn't enough).

This problem has been discussed a couple of times in the past, I think crossfire is just not supported by current driver version. I have no idea how 5970 users are supposed to handle this problem, they can not physically disable crossfire like I do.

0 Likes

10x guys. I think AMD must fix this ASAP, because that means 5970 can't compete with GTX 480 in OpenCL. It's kind of disappointing to have all that power, and no way to use it ...

0 Likes