cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

kiyotaka
Journeyman III

Remote host computing

I try to run OpenCL program on a remote host. But, this host works it when someone login locally to this host.

Then I set  up the remote host according to "Running ATI Stream Applications Remotely", however the situation did not change.

Please teach me how to run OpenCL program remotely.

0 Likes
10 Replies
omkaranathan
Adept I

kiyotaka,

Please post your system configuration, steps followed, behaviour/error messages you are getting etc.

0 Likes

simplest solution is login localy to Xserver session and then login with the SAME user via SSH. then you just set/export DISPLAY=:0 and it should work.

0 Likes

Hello omkaranathan, nou.

My machine's spec is as follows.

CPU: AthlonIIx4
MEM: 4GByte
GPU: HD4870+HD5770
Driver: Catalyst 10.2
SDK: ATI-Stream-sdk 2.01

For remote access, I set up the remote host according to "Running ATI Stream Applications Remotely" ( http://developer.amd.com/gpu_assets/App_Note-Running_ATI_Stream_Apps_Remotely.pdf ) except "chmod +uog+rw /dev/dri/card*". /dev/ati/card* was already 666 status.

My program run as don't say error. When I try to run my program on target host from remotely, clGetDeviceInfo in my program says only AthlonIIx4 of Device Name. 

Then I login target machine and I try to run my program remotely as follows.

$ DISPLAY= ":0" ./info

clGetDeviceInfo says number of devices is three and Device Names are "AthlonII", "RV770" and "???(sorry, I forgot, maybe HD5770)".

Even if not logged in target host, isn't there any way a program recognizes GPU correctly from remote console?

0 Likes

kiyotaka and kalab1998 are same man.

0 Likes

third device should be Juniper. and you must have running Xserver and logged in user.

0 Likes

Originally posted by: nou third device should be Juniper. and you must have running Xserver and logged in user.

Will not there be the way to run a  OpenCL program remotely without logging in target host?

0 Likes

you can run program remotely via SSH. but you must have running Xserver with logged in user. this limitation is due that CAL is acces to GPU throug X. because if not Xserver is runing then fglrx is not loaded.

0 Likes

kalab1998,

You need not login to the target host but you should have an x-server running in the host to be able to run OpenCL program in GPU.

0 Likes

Originally posted by: nou you can run program remotely via SSH. but you must have running Xserver with logged in user. this limitation is due that CAL is acces to GPU throug X. because if not Xserver is runing then fglrx is not loaded.

???

The meaning of "Running ATI Stream Applications Remotely" ( http://developer.amd.com/gpu_assets/App_Note-Running_ATI_Stream_Apps_Remotely.pdf ) ?

0 Likes

that is simplest solution. logged in localy then log in via SSH export DISPLAY=:0 and you can run OpenCL application.

that article is more sophiticated.

0 Likes