Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

escapeclause
Adept I

Driver support for OpenCL?

Stream SDK 2.01 & ATI driver 10.2, samples fail

Hello,

What exact driver must I use to have Stream 2.01 work? I am running Stream SDK 2.01 (downloaded Feb 23) and OpenSuSE 11.2, with a pair of 4890 in crossfire.

Currently I am using driver 10.2 (downloaded Feb 21),which the Stream system requirements says should work.

Every sample app for both CAL and OpenCL fails with what I understand to be a driver not supporting Stream error. Examples:

emerth@quad:/usr/local/ati-stream-sdk-v2.01-lnx64/samples/cal/bin/x86_64> ./basic
Supported CAL Runtime Version: 1.3.185
Found CAL Runtime Version: 1.4.553
Use -? for help
X Error of failed request:  BadRequest (invalid request code or no such operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  144 ()
  Minor opcode of failed request:  19
  Serial number of failed request:  8
  Current serial number in output stream:  8
emerth@quad:/usr/local/ati-stream-sdk-v2.01-lnx64/samples/cal/bin/x86_64> ./hellocal
Supported CAL Runtime Version: 1.3.185
Found CAL Runtime Version: 1.4.553
Use -? for help
X Error of failed request:  BadRequest (invalid request code or no such operation)
emerth@quad:/usr/local/ati-stream-sdk-v2.01-lnx64/samples/cal/bin/x86_64> cd ../../../../
bin/         docs/        include/     lib/         make/        samples/     TempSDKUtil/
emerth@quad:/usr/local/ati-stream-sdk-v2.01-lnx64/samples/cal/bin/x86_64> cd ../../../opencl/bin/x86_64/
emerth@quad:/usr/local/ati-stream-sdk-v2.01-lnx64/samples/opencl/bin/x86_64> ./HelloCL
HelloCL!
Getting Platform Information

The only driver I can get to work is Catalyst_9.12_Hotfix_Linux_8.682.2RC1_Dec15.zip, which places an overlaid square message in the lower right hand corner of the screen. The message is something like "AMD Experimental Use". Sorry I'm using the 10.2 driver right now so my recall of the message may not be correct.

0 Likes
7 Replies
omkaranathan
Adept I

Did you properly remove the old drivers before installing Catalyst 10.2?

OpenSuse 11.2 is not officially supported currently. You might face problems.

0 Likes

I have exactly the same problem with 10.2 drivers !!  on 64 bit HPxw8400 workstation, I am using a fresh install of OpenSUSE 11.2

???

0 Likes

It has been reported by many users: it looks like SDK 2.01 doesn't work with 4xxx family (with 4890 for sure). You have to go back to SDK 2.0.

I have not yet seen an official answer to this problem up to now.

P.S. however the error reported by other 4890 users was different.

0 Likes

davibu,

SDK 2.01 do work with 4xxx family. I have a 4850, 4570 and a 4870 X2 on which I am able to run the SDK without any issues.However there are chances that you can face issues with unsupported OS which is the case with users above.

0 Likes

omkaranathan, yes SDK v2.01 does work with the 4xxx family and AMD's SDK samples and certain OpenCL code... but it does not work with more elaborate OpenCL programs such as David's latest SmallLuxGPU, which does work when we use SDK v2.0 with the 4xxx family (fails with SDK v2.01).  The fact that it works with SDK v2.0 and not with SDK v2.01 leaves me hope that it is a fixable bug with SDK v2.01.

Other RV770 owners are indeed experiencing the same issue.

I posted a question about it here a while ago, but never received a reply...  I can only hope ATI is working on the problem?

0 Likes

RBD,
SmallLuxGPU issues should be fixed in our next release.
0 Likes

Micah, thank you for the confirmation, it's appreciated.

0 Likes