cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

ryta1203
Journeyman III

Cache Questions

1. Is the cache on the AMD GPUs used for decreasing latency or only increasing bandwidth?

2. The profiler doesn't seem to have a cache hit/miss counter? Why not? CAL/IL has one built in, so I'm curious why this doesn't have it considering the amount of VFetches used (thus using cache, correct?)

0 Likes
4 Replies
gaurav_garg
Adept I

1. Is the cache on the AMD GPUs used for decreasing latency or only increasing bandwidth?

I think the design goal for GPU caches is only increase in memory bandwidth. As a side effect of being on chip, caches have lower latency too. Not sure about numbers though.

2. The profiler doesn't seem to have a cache hit/miss counter? Why not? CAL/IL has one built in, so I'm curious why this doesn't have it considering the amount of VFetches used (thus using cache, correct?)

I looked at the ISA generted by MMM sample shipped with SDK. It contains VFETCH instruction, but this is not cached. For caching, the fetch clause has to be TEX_VC or TEX_TC. Right now, it is only TEX.

0 Likes

Guarav,

This doesn't seem to be the case though, according to Micah:

http://forums.amd.com/devforum/messageview.cfm?catid=390&threadid=127466&highlight_key=y&keyword1=vf...

So, if there are some cases which use cache then it would be nice if the profiler reported the cache usage.

0 Likes

I am still not convinced that UAV reads are cached right now. Please see my reply on the same thread.

0 Likes

Gaurav,

Ok, if you are correct, my guess is that cached global memory might be supported in the future, in which case it would be nice if it was profiled.

0 Likes