Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

Meteorhead
Challenger

Radeon 5970 under Ubuntu unrecognized

Dear Support,

My problem would be that I installed Stream SDK v2.01 under Ubuntu 9.10 with the latest 10.2 Catalyst for Linux distros. I have upgraded my code according to the ICD manual to avoid the "ERROR: clCreateContextFromType()" error. However the sample code seems to find one platform only, which is AMD Vendor, and name "ATI Stream". Which is interesting because the machine is Intel chipset (ASUS P6T6 WS with Core-i7 and it has 3 5970 cards in it (no crossfire naturally).

If I create a context with CL_DEVICE_TYPE_CPU, it gives back the 8 cores of the Core-i7 just fine. It gives err = -1 however with CL_DEVICE_TYPE_GPU.

Any idea as to what I'm doing wrong?

0 Likes
6 Replies
omkaranathan
Adept I

Could you run the CAL samples to make sure that the driver is installed properly and the devices are detected correctly?

'FindNumDevices' sample will tell you the number of devices present. Could you run the sample and post the result?

0 Likes

This is the output of the cal FindNumDevices sample:

Supported CAL Runtime Version: 1.3.185
Found CAL Runtime Version: 1.4.553
Use -? for help
CAL initialized.
Finding out number of devices :-
Device Count = 0
CAL shutdown successful.

Press enter to exit...

So I guess this will be a driver related problem, but then what should I install under Ubuntu 9.10 64-bit? I saw someone compile a .deb package with 10.1 drivers, but those were all i386, which to my recollection is 32-bit.

0 Likes

I'm able to run OpenCL on Ubuntu 9.10 with Catalyst 10.2 witout any issues. Could you do a clean up and a fresh installation of drivers?

0 Likes

I have managed to purge ccc and all ati drivers from the computer and done a fresh install of the driver. However it did not change anything. I was always suspicious, that ccc only found 4 devices out of the 6, so I decided to simple things down. I took out 2 cards and tried it with a single 5970.

Ubuntu wants to come up in low graphics mode saying "(EE) No devices detected". Any idea as to why Ubuntu cannot find the graphics card?

0 Likes

I have made dual-boot with Win7 and everything works fine in Windows with a single card. I have not had the chance to try OpenCL under Windows.

0 Likes

aticonfig --inital -f helped start the GUI once again. I have tried several configurations with 1 and 2 cards installed (left the third out of the game for the moment). I have had to run the aticonfig command between each two to get the GUI back. I have run the CAL tests and some OpenCL ones too.

Single card CAL test:

Use -? for help
CAL initialized.
Device Count = 2
CAL shutdown successful.

Dual card CAL test

Use -? for help
CAL initialized.
Device Count = 1
CAL shutdown successful.

My home-made DeviceInfo class returns 16 devices in single card and 8 devices in dual card configuration. (One might guess it should be the other way around) There is only 2 usable out of 16, and 1 usable out of 8.  The usable ones look like

Device info : Device Info
Memory info --------------------------------
Global Memory size : 256 MBytes
Global Memory Cache size : 0 KBytes
Global Memory Cache Line size : 0 Bytes
Global Memory Cache type : None
Max Constant Buffer size : 64 KBytes
Max Constant Buffer args : 8
Local Memory size : 0 KBytes
Local Memory type : Local
Error Correction support : None
Compute units info -------------------------
Max Compute units : 20
Max Work Item dimensions : 3
Max Work Item sizes : 0 0 0
Max Work Group size : 0
Max Device Clock frequency : 1000 MHz
Capabilities info ---------------------------
Preferred Char Vector width : 16
Preferred Short Vector width : 8
Preferred Int Vector width : 4
Preferred Long Vector width : 2
Preferred Float Vector width : 4
Preferred Double Vector width : 0

The rest are either segmentation faults or

Device info : Device Info
Memory info --------------------------------
Global Memory size : 0 MBytes
Global Memory Cache size : 0 KBytes
Global Memory Cache Line size : 0 Bytes
Global Memory Cache type : None
Max Constant Buffer size : 0 KBytes
Max Constant Buffer args : 0
Local Memory size : 0 KBytes
Local Memory type : ERROR
Error Correction support : None
Compute units info -------------------------
Max Compute units : 0
Max Work Item dimensions : 0
Max Work Item sizes : 0 0 0
Max Work Group size : 0
Max Device Clock frequency : 0 MHz
Capabilities info ---------------------------
Preferred Char Vector width : 0
Preferred Short Vector width : 0
Preferred Int Vector width : 0
Preferred Long Vector width : 0
Preferred Float Vector width : 0
Preferred Double Vector width : 0

I very much suspect that something is very fishy with the driver, for the SDK (and ccc too) cannot recognize the cards as they should be. The Device layer always returned more devices than it should have in the beta SDKs, but I hoped this unexplainable behaviour would go away in a final release. It hasn't yet. What should I do next if I want to make Linux and the SDK familiar with all 3 cards properly?

0 Likes