cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

attilagenc
Journeyman III

OpenCL and ATI CAL crashes system when HD 4870x2 and HD 5870 used at the same time

OpenCL and ATI CAL crashes system when HD 4870x2 and HD 5870 used at the same time

Hi,

I just installed ATI Stream Software Development Kit (SDK) v2.01 and ATI Catalyst™ 10.2 driver. In my system I have HD 4870x2 and HD 5870. When I run an OpenCL or ATI CAL application , and two graphic cards are simultaneously utilized  system crashes. If I disable one card (i.e. I remove its connection to lcd display) applications run fine. Situation is repeatable with sample applications present in ati stream sdk. 

Previously (in sdk 1.4 and sdk 2.0) I didn't has such a problem. I wonder whether this is related to my system or is it a bug of stream sdk 2.01 or catalyst 10.2?

Does anyone else also experience same problem?

What can I do to remedy problem (other than reverting back to old versions of sdk and catalyst)?

thx in advance

0 Likes
5 Replies

I have 5770+4770 and up to Catalyst 9.12 everything worked fine. With 10.1 driver installer drops some warnings in process (and these warnings cannot be located after install process finished) and after that any call to CAL API results in whole system lock up, so I'm forced to use 'Reset' button.

I was already too tired to figure out what's the exact reason of this problem (because each release of Catalyst brings new bugs) so I've just rolled back to 9.12. But I guess with 10.1 (and looks like with 10.2) you just cannot mix RV770 & RV870 GPUs together anymore within one system.

0 Likes

Empty_knapsack,
What OS are you using?
0 Likes

Vista SP2.

0 Likes

empty_knapsack,
Can you uninstall your driver and then clear all references to the driver from the registry? There might something messed up in the registry which is causing this issue.
0 Likes

Which registry entries I need to remove? I was doing "Fast uninstall of all ATI components" from ATI Catalyst Install Manager (not sure how it exactly called in english) before applying 10.1. Shouldn't it remove everything unneeded including clearing registry?

0 Likes